New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Updating O/S

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

charisma

charisma is on a distinguished road

I plan to up date from leopard to lion. What do I have to back up. I stuff in my document folder, and lots of programs.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

It would be good to know what computer you have...just to be sure what it's OS upgrade limits are...and if it meets the system requirements. Plus...getting a copy of Lion is more difficult than may you think.

- Nick

p.s. Thread moved to more appropriate sub-forum.

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
charisma

I'm going to purchase it from apple online. This is what I have.

Version 10.6.8

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook6,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MB61.00C8.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.51f53
Serial Number (system):
Hardware UUID: 4BA5FACE-5672-5897-BB8B-A54979CFC81C
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by charisma View Post
I'm going to purchase it from apple online. This is what I have.
Just in case there's some confusion. Lion is OS 10.7. Lion is no longer available for purchase online...and hasn't been for approximately a year.

This is why I mentioned that Lion is not as easy to acquire as one would like.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
charisma

Then I'm mistaken. I'm referring to the latest O'S out there then.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

It looks like you've got a late 2009 MacBook so you should be okay for ML. As for your question, only you can answer that. You likely store everything in your home directory so make sure to back up anything there. If you have any software that is licensed (you put in a key), see if there is a deactivation option (some Adobe software has this option) which will prevent any potential reactivation issues.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Then I'm mistaken. I'm referring to the latest O'S out there then.
Latest OS is 10.8 (Mountain Lion). You mentioned that you currently have OS 10.5 (Leopard) installed. Which I'm not sure is correct...since this model MacBook shipped with Snow Leopard (OS 10.6).

To upgrade to Mountain Lion you need to:

- first install OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard) $19...from the Apple online store (Apple.com).
- Make sure it's at least version 10.6.6 to have access to the "Mac App Store"
- Then pay for, download, and install Mac OS 10.8 $19.99.

* Nick

QUOTE Thanks
charisma

I have 10.6.8 Does that mean I have to download and pay for two up dates?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
I have 10.6.8 Does that mean I have to download and pay for two up dates?
10.6.8 is Snow Leopard (you mentioned you had Leopard currently installed in post #1).

So if you currently have 10.6.8...no you don't have to pay for two upgrades. You just need to pay for, download, and install Mountain Lion (OS 10.8).

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
charisma

Thank you very much for all your help
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« rtf file is disappearing from zip file - Mac issue? | Debugging JavaScript in Safari »