New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

rtf file is disappearing from zip file - Mac issue?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cchelsea

cchelsea is on a distinguished road

Hi there,

This is my first post (!)

I'm not sure if this is a Mac issue, but I've yet to find any info on it elsewhere, so I figured the Mac Forums would be a good place to start

I have:
iMac running OS 10.8.3

I have been sending pdf and rtf files to clients in a zip file, and some of the clients are reporting back to me that the rtf file is not in the zip file they receive. I see it on my end when I unzip the file. Reports are that the pdfs are there, but aside from that, there is only a .DS_Store file in the unzipped folder, which the clients are not able to open. Is this a Mac to PC issue, or do I need to keep researching?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

How are you zipping the files? You shouldn't be including a hidden file in the archive which is what the .DS_Store file is. There may be something wrong on your end or your recipients have security turned on and it's removing the rtf file but leaves the PDF and hidden file.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Does the RTF file in question have the extension .rtf at the end and visible?
QUOTE Thanks
cchelsea

cchelsea is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the quick replies!

chscag: I'm not sure if this is enough info, but I'm zipping them by highlighting the folder to zip, going to the Finder pull down menu => File => Compress

chas_m: It does not, and I'm going to be very embarrassed (and relieved) if that's the problem - I'll give it a try and see if that solves things.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Yeah, that's the problem. Windows needs the file extension in order to determine what kind of file it is.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I agree with chas. Windows definitely needs the extension. The *.rtf file should open with either WordPad or Word depending on which is installed on the receiving PC.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help with Screen Sharing | Updating O/S »