New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Upgrade 10.4.11 Powerbook G4

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Dorothy Tiger

Dorothy Tiger is on a distinguished road

Hi,
Hope you can help me.
My PowerBook G4 (circa 2006) with 10.4.11, with 1 GHz processor, 256 MB DDR SDRAM is old and sluggish.
Anything I can do to upgrade her? I do love the old girl, and I do hope she's not ready for the retirement home just yet.
Thanks for your help me.
Tatty Tiger
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

You need to upgrade the ram. If it only has 256meg of ram...this should have been upgraded long ago...since even in the 2003-2004 timeframe (when this computer was released)...256meg of ram wasn't much.

There are a few different Powerbook G4 1.0ghz models...so hard to say how much ram you can install.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

According to my Mactracker, your Powerbook G4 can take 2 GB of memory. I would say the first thing is to max out the memory in the machine. And then perhaps a larger faster hard drive upgrade. If those upgrades don't speed the old girl up, it's the nursing home for her!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Question is wether an older G4 is worth say $60 for memory and about $80 for a 7200rpm HDD? And then if you wish to upgrade to Leopard OS X.5, the final operating system for PowerPC models,about another $100 for full retail install DVD.

Sadly sometimes it is necessary to move on from those old well loved models.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Dorothy Tiger

Dorothy Tiger is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info. Think it may well be time to start looking at those retirement homes. Maybe one with an ocean view and a piano in the lounge. Yes, the old girl will like that I think! :-D
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« evertime i start up i have to select a network | I accidentally deleted my system preferences, need HELP! »