New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

right click

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jnmwheels

Jnmwheels is on a distinguished road

I am trying to get the secondary click to work using preferences. When I check the secondary click box, and ask for the left corner option, I get two screens and no right click feature. I thought maybe this was due to the fact that I set hot corners. I thought I had confused the little dear with mixed messages. So I went into the hot corners set up and removed the command for the lower left click by replacing it with a "-" But alas, this did not fix the problem.

I am out of guesses. Your thoughts?
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Welcome to Mac-Forums..

You are using the Magic Mouse I'm guessing? Try BetterTouchTool to configure your mouse and you will get a lot more options than are available in the Sytem Preferences..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

There is also MagicPrefs which does pretty much the same thing: https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/33095/magicprefs

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
Jnmwheels

Thank you for you speedy replies. I am not using a magic mouse. I do not prefer to use a mouse. I am trying to program my track pad.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnmwheels View Post
I am trying to get the secondary click to work using preferences.
Is there some particular reason you don't want to use "tap with two fingers" as shown to be the default in the trackpad's system preferences?

Trackpad-right-click.jpg
QUOTE Thanks
Jnmwheels

I would love to use this but it is not working That is why I tried to some of the above solutions. When I choose the default, and do the two finger tap it causes two windows to pop up and does not give me the right click.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Just so we're clear, a "tap" is not the same as a click. Your trackpad has the ability to be pressed down enough to click, but a tap is exactly that -- placing the finger(s) on the pad momentarily, not clicking.

Is that what you are doing?
QUOTE Thanks
Jnmwheels

Thank you for clarifying that definition I tried both. Neither causes the desired result. When I two finger tap nothing happens. When I two finger click all windows close except two which become the same size and centrally located. Two windows when I have preferences open. If I do not have preferences open, I get one window. So interesting... I have a Mac Book Pro with Lion 10.7.5.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

Maybe you could provide us with a screenshot of your Trackpad preferences and we can see how they are set. Check to make sure you have NOT already got something like Better Touch or Magic Prefs already in stalled (they would appear in your system preferences under "Other"
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future

Sounds like 2 finger click is set up as Mission Control.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

He definitely has his trackpad set up differently than the default, no question about it.
QUOTE Thanks
Jnmwheels

Screen shots included.
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

Umm...where? No screen shots.

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

You'll need to compose your message, then click on the "Go Advanced" option you see below your text-entry box to attach photos directly to your message.
QUOTE Thanks
Jnmwheels

I see I missed a step. I think this will work.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2013-08-02 at 7.45.02 AM.png (29.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2013-08-02 at 7.49.14 AM.png (42.2 KB, 24 views)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mountain Lion - Time Machine | Strange problem, MacBook Pro will not load OS X »