New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

boot to alternate drive in X.5.8

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ron45

ron45 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac quad 8, Os X.8.5 6gig ram for now

That's it pretty much. I'm getting spinning beach balls when I shouldn't. Tried booting w/C held down and it didn't work. Just prior to that on first boot of the day there was a long delay then I got a circle/w a line thru it where the apple should be. There is 4 gig and change in the memory slots. I did all I can do in disc utility till I can boot to another drive. I know I can use the disc and have one but still want to know how to reboot to an alt. drive. There is 599 gig of free space on the boot drive. Thanks,

Ron
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Well it does help enormously if you provide model details and operating system.

If you have system discs, boot from them and run Repair Disk and see the state of your hard drive. If OS X.7/8 use Recovery to do the same thing.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

For most Mac models released in the last few years you can select another boot drive by holding down the Option key immediately after the startup chime. Hold the key down until the menu of drives appears.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I cant download things! | Recovering an deleted file from trash »