New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

time machine weekly backup

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hotrod351

hotrod351 is on a distinguished road

well i had to buy another external HD for my backups, time machine, my 4+ year old seagate goflex gave it up, i tried everything but no success. anyway ive looked at the app. Time Machine Editor, seems that i can set it to backup daily, weekly or monthly. any one else using this app. if so you like it, dont like it. im doing so much that i need to backup every hour, or even every day. in fact i think once a week will do fine. by the way, i HD is 750 gb and my time machine is 2tb. i have 180gb on my internal HD. including VMware fushion.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

No TM for me prefer SuperDuper registered version. Weekly backup using Smart Backup simply updates what is new from week to week and the external with the clone is bootable. Seagate at one stage were warranting drive for as five year period. Any chance your drive fell into this category?

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
hotrod351

think it might be older because the first time i called them about 6 or so months ago, they said it was out of warranty.
QUOTE Thanks
hotrod351

checked out superduper. seems better but i already have time machine setup.
QUOTE Thanks
2macs

2macs is on a distinguished road

I use an external disk attached to an Airport Extreme to back up two Macs.

The Time Machine Editor gives you schedule options like daily, weekly, or whatever
you would like. It works fine.

The initial backup will takes some time (several hours probably) but the subsequent
backups are quick. (since it only backs up changes).
The recover is very intuitive and flexible, also works fine.

Your backup disk is plenty big enough.

Good Luck.
John

PS. One suggestion, once you have it set up, and working, DO NOT CHANGE THE
NAMES OF THE AIRPORT OR OF THE DISK. It is a nightmare to recover from that
type of change. Learned that the hard way.
QUOTE Thanks
hotrod351

well i have two 750 gb internal HDs. i clone one to the other as backup. so i guess ill stick with time machine and there hourly backups, daily backups would be fine but seeing as my old seagate lasted so long doing hourly backups this WD 3t should last a while, its guaranteed for 2 years and as long as it doesnt fail right when i need it ill be ok. could get another internal hd and partition it and use superduper on it. so if i set up Time Machine Editor it will erase what i have copied now and do a complete recopy.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Are you thinking of putting the SuperDuper clone and the Time Machine backup on different partitions of the same drive? If so be aware of one huge potential flaw: There are some disk drive failures that could rentder both partitions of the drive unusable simultaneously. If that happens both backups could be inaccessible.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
hotrod351

think im just going to leave it the way it is now. my external hd is partitioned, 2t and 1t, i use the 1t for time machine for my macbook pro, snow leopard, the 2t partition is for my macpro desktop, lion.
QUOTE Thanks
hotrod351

well this WD HD isnt showing up 1/2 the time on my desktop so back to walmart it goes. picking up a seagate. what im going to do is partition it into 2 partitions, one 2t and the other 1t. im going to use the 2t for my desktop and the 1t for my macbook pro. anyone see anything wrong with doing this.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

No need to partition the new drive for using it with two machines. Time Machine will keep the backups separate by itself, however, there is no harm in doing it that way.
QUOTE Thanks
hotrod351

well i already partitioned it. just read your post. now does it matter if i eject the external hd and then plug it into my other mac or would it be better to turn my mac off first then unplug it. the problem i had with the WD hd is that sometimes it wouldnt show up on my mac, even if it was showing up before i shut down, and left it connected. start back up and no hd detected fro time machine, hope that was just a wd thing and not a seagate thing, guess ill find out.
QUOTE Thanks
hotrod351

another question, would it be a bad idea to connect a usb y plug and leave my desktop connected all the time to my seagate external hd and then plug in my macbook pro in when i needed to back it up or could that create any problems
QUOTE Thanks
hotrod351

thinking more about it, and reading about it, i kind of wish id left it alone without any partition. i thought i needed it seeing as there two separate computers and two different osx versions.
QUOTE Thanks
hotrod351

well i decided to start over. no partitions. backup my desktop, osx lion, then my macbook pro, snow leopard.
QUOTE Thanks
hotrod351

well it works perfect. i see now that each computer has its own folder. i was looking at time machine like some kind of magic.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« have tech. problem | Buying mountain lion then maverics »