New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Switching to Mountain Lion - Will it slow down my system?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mosesoperandi

mosesoperandi is on a distinguished road

I'm running 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) on my Late-2008 Aluminum Macbook, which has been upgraded with an SSD and 8 GB of RAM.

My question is: do you think that upgrading to Mountain Lion would slow down my system noticeably? I've heard conflicting things. I know it would be a bit slower, but with 8GB of RAM, will it be serious?

BONUS QUESTION! Should I wait and switch to Mavericks? And would that slow down my system proportionally more? I realize that any answers to this question are educated guesses at this point.

Thank you!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

If you are considering upgrading all the way to Mavericks...then I say wait until it is released.

Since Mavericks has not been released yet...we still do not know 100%...what the system requirements are...and what the upgrade path is.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
mosesoperandi

mosesoperandi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
If you are considering upgrading all the way to Mavericks...then I say wait until it is released.

Since Mavericks has not been released yet...we still do not know 100%...what the system requirements are...and what the upgrade path is.
I didn't state the question clearly enough. (1) Should I upgrade to Mountain Lion or wait until Mavericks, which depends on (2) would Mountain Lion slow down my system considerably, and would Mavericks do so even more? (Best guess).

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesoperandi View Post
I didn't state the question clearly enough. (1) Should I upgrade to Mountain Lion or wait until Mavericks, which depends on (2) would Mountain Lion slow down my system considerably, and would Mavericks do so even more? (Best guess).
I understood what you meant. Basically I cannot remember anyone complaining about Mountain Lion (10.8) slowing things down. And since Mavericks (10.9) hasn't been released yet...it's hard to say if Mavericks will slow things down or not.

As a general rule of thumb...one thing you must know. A late 2008 MacBook is the oldest supported MacBook for Mountain Lion (and probably will be the oldest MacBook supported for Mavericks). So as a computer model at the cut-off...it must be assumed that a late 2008 MacBook should be able to run Mountain Lion or Mavericks ok...but not as good as a 2011, 2012, or 2013 model computer.

But like I said above. I cannot remember anyone complaining about Mountain Lion (10.8) slowing things down...and we really don't know about Mavericks yet...since it has not been released.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ripping CDs in Apple Lossless | Macbook 10.6.8 freezes after sleep »