New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Best Cleaner For A MacBookPro?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

billwill

billwill is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 8 GB 13" MacBook Pro, 64GB WiFi/4G iPad, 32GB iPhone 5

I've had the "Spinning Beachball" on my 3 year-old MacBookPro practically since I bought it new. I took it to an Apple Genius who ran all kinds of diagnostics in the store while I watched, then said my hard drive connector was bad and replace it while I waited. It continued to have the Spinning Beachball now and then, even when I was running only ONE program or app.

I took it back to the Apple Store and was told then that it needed to be sent to their Service Center in Tennessee, so I left it with them on a Saturday. Four days later they called to say it was back. They said my 250GB hard drive was bad, so they replaced it with a 500GB drive at no charge (AppleCare was in effect then).

I STILL get the Spinning Beachball. I have Sophos and MacScan which I update and run daily and find nothing, and I've run Onyx and Disk Utilities many, many times to no avail.

What in the world can be causing this? It's maddening. I'm not a hard user... the most I do with my MacBookPro is email and WORD documents running the MAC version of WORD 2011.

I will GREATLY appreciate any help you may offer me. My AppleCare has expired and I'm on a fixed income. I just can't afford any expensive service now. Thank you very much in advance for your expertise and help.

"Laughter is an instant vacation"
- Milton Berle
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwill View Post
I've had the "Spinning Beachball" on my 3 year-old MacBookPro practically since I bought it new.

I STILL get the Spinning Beachball.

What in the world can be causing this?
How often do you reboot your computer?

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
billwill

I reboot every other day.

- Milton Berle
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Try this:

- Open up Activity Monitor (Utilities Folder).
- Click on the "System Memory" tab at the bottom of the window.

What are the values for "Page outs" and "Swap used"?

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
I have Sophos and MacScan which I update and run daily and find nothing, and I've run Onyx and Disk Utilities many, many times to no avail.
Both of those programs run in the background and can be using valuable CPU cycles which in combination of not enough memory can cause the spinning beach ball. Do you really need Sophos and MacScan? Since there are no viruses in the wild that can infect your Mac, I would uninstall both and see if that improves things.
QUOTE Thanks
billwill

PageOuts: 0

SwapUsed: 0

- Milton Berle
QUOTE Thanks
billwill

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Both of those programs run in the background and can be using valuable CPU cycles which in combination of not enough memory can cause the spinning beach ball. Do you really need Sophos and MacScan? Since there are no viruses in the wild that can infect your Mac, I would uninstall both and see if that improves things.
I have 8 GB of memory and I'm running 10.8.4.

- Milton Berle
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
PageOuts: 0

SwapUsed: 0
Ok....that looks good.

How full is your hard drive (gigs used & gigs total)?

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
billwill

425.5 GB Available

73.75 GB Used

- Milton Berle
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
425.5 GB Available

73.75 GB Used
Ok...thanks again. That looks good as well.

Another thing to check out:

- Reboot the computer (when the computer has completely rebooted...do not open any applications).
- Open Activity Monitor.
- Click on the "CPU" tab at the bottom of the window.

At the bottom left of the window...what is the "% Idle" value?

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
billwill

% Idle = 97.99 (started at 71.95 and up to 97.99 after a minute or so) Is that bad?

- Milton Berle
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
% Idle = 97.99 (started at 71.95 and up to 97.99 after a minute or so) Is that bad?
The % Idle and % User values will fluctuate. I would say once the computer has fully booted & no apps open...the values should not fluctuate more than a few percent.

But...in case you didn't know...some applications can "auto-launch" when starting up the computer (rebooting). Many times this includes the two anti-virus programs you have installed (Sophos and MacScan)...so when your % Idle dropped to 71%...this could be because one or both of these apps were doing something.

Ok...so one last thing to check:

- With the computer freshing rebooted (and no apps lauched by the user).
- Open Activity Monitor
- Click on the "CPU" tab at the bottom.
- At the top of the Activity Monitor window (and slighly to the right)...there's a drop down menu...make sure "All Process's" is selected.
- Look thru the list (scroll down as necessary)...and see if there's anything that's taking up a lot of CPU resources.

With the computer freshly rebooted & no apps. lauched by the user...there shouldn't be any LARGE "drains" on the cpu resources.

For what it's worth...when I reboot my computers (and no apps launched)...my % Idle is usually 95-98%. I have no anti-virus programs running.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Remove the antivirus software using the Uninstaller. No Mac OS X viruses and safe 'net practices will see you just fine.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
billwill

Am I looking for %CPU, Threads or Real Mem values?

- Milton Berle
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Am I looking for %CPU, Threads or Real Mem values?
% CPU.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Printer Driver for HP Color LaserJet 1600 | Mountain Lion has Disabled Volume Keys f10 & f11 »