New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

NTFS for Mac not working

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pincrete

pincrete is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro A1261 & MDD 1250 Dual & G3 300 Desktop (OS 10.7.5 & 10.5 & 9.2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
I just realized a MAJOR goof on my part in the link I provided. Smartmontools isn't the driver for adding support to some external drives. It's the open source software that the other tools (SMART Utility, etc) are built on. The correct driver for adding support to monitor external drives is OS-X-SAT-SMART-Driver. Sorry about the mixup!
The DriveDX trial makes it easy to add these drivers, (which apparently are not included by DriveDX because off Mac AppStore rules), so the goof on your part was not all that major ... though i did have to install them twice before they worked properly!

btw overnight surface scan of whole disk revealed zero errors/bad blocks, so this is probably just some anomaly of this drive or of Paragon.

I'm leaving all this info for the next poor perplexed soul with the same problem.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
Van? *sigh* Fine fine... I'll change my avatar. LOL!
Sorry about that. Where did that come from? How many times do I have to apologize before that portion of this thread gets erased from memory?

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
pincrete

pincrete is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro A1261 & MDD 1250 Dual & G3 300 Desktop (OS 10.7.5 & 10.5 & 9.2)

OK guys apologies & thanks to all, & apologies to Paragon for questioning NTFS for Mac.

I have to admit that the end of this story is the last place I thought to look (always the way?) ... In the end by swapping various hard drives in various cases, it turns out that the fault lay NOT with any hard drive.. NOT with software .. NOT with anything I was doing wrong, but simply with the external HD case (bought separately from the HDD).

Since it's a USB 3.0 case and since it's an oversized hard disk (12.5mm), it's probably not worth the effort of trying to find a replacement case, so I will just have to live with the 'double-mount' technique to get the hard drive to be writable on my Mac, (strangely it's fairly fast once mounted, especially on PCs, where I have USB 3.0).

Ooops ..... problem understood and worked around, if not solved.

Thanks to all & I'm posting thing in case someone else encounters the same problem.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pincrete View Post
I have to admit that the end of this story is the last place I thought to look (always the way?) ... In the end by swapping various hard drives in various cases, it turns out that the fault lay NOT with any hard drive.. NOT with software .. NOT with anything I was doing wrong, but simply with the external HD case (bought separately from the HDD).
Thanks for the update. I don't think it would have ever occurred to me or most of us that the problem could be the case itself, so that will definitely be some good information for us to keep in mind for the future.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu). Also advise us if you have any antivirus or "cleaning" software installed on your Mac. If you are using MacKeeper, you are hereby advised to uninstall it.
------
Links to commonly recommended software and instructions: Onyx | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | How to reveal the User Library
------
Having issues with Safari? Adware is on the rise. See this guide on how to remove it: The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac OS Twitter Notifications | Virus, adware, or nothing to worry about? »