New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Disk partitions deleted & Device is write locked

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

michael.mb

michael.mb is on a distinguished road

Mac profesionals,

I'm having the following problem;

My cousin would install windows on my macbook air, he putted the usb inside and booted from the usb into windows. deleted all my partitions and couldnt install windows because the GMX partions. Now I want install a new version of osx and after with bootcamp istall windows too. BUT... The device is locked, I can't use the disk utility, I can't restore, I can't reinstall osx. I tried to boot with ''CMD+S'' but the difference I see to my macbook and most internet helping guides is the command line start with ''boot #'' and at my mac ''-sh-3.2#''

If I write the command line ''/sbin/mount -uw /''

I get: 'Device is write locked''
'0 [level 3] [Readuid 0] [Facility com.apple.fs] [Errtype I0] [ErrNo 13] [I0Type Write] [PBlk288552] [LBlk18661]

Please help, I want to use my macbook again and kill my cousin
QUOTE Thanks
michael.mb

Update:
When start with ''CMD+s'' It's appear too:
''Root device is mounted read-only''
Singleuser boot -- fsck not done

If someone need more info, please tell..
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

what Mac?
What version of OS X?

if 10.7 or 10.8, tried booting with command + R ?
if 10.6 or earlier, tried booting from the disc that shipped with your computer?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
michael.mb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
what Mac?
What version of OS X?

if 10.7 or 10.8, tried booting with command + R ?
if 10.6 or earlier, tried booting from the disc that shipped with your computer?
I'm realy new into mac and just learned littlebit the way around till this happens..
The dvd I got with it, is lost and I allready try to download a new one and put it on usb, but when it reads the usb, a cross apears after 1min.
What version of OSX, I really don't know but the type macbook is an Air A1466 EMC 2559 if this helps.. thnx allready
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

It would have shipped with 10.7 or 10.8.
It would not have had a disc shipped with it.

Tried booting with cmd + R yet?
Then open Disk Utility after it boots up and repartition the drive.
You'll need to be connected to the internet and it should do an internet recovery install.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

From the model number it came with Lion OS X.7 so there were no DVD's. Do as bobtomay suggests and use Lion recovery and proceed from there. Want a good tip? Keep others out of your MBA.

Fingers crossed and keep us posted?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Restoring OS X from external hard drive | Appreciable Slowdown of my Macbook »