New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Global freezing

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rexanders

rexanders is on a distinguished road

Just in the last week or so (I cn't remember installing anything that started it) my Power Mac has been freezing. I'm running the most up to date OS and it seems to be Safari that initialises it. Curser still moving about fine but everything else, keyboard, windows, spaces etc, totally dead
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

You should give us more details - exact OS X version, computer model that it lists in the Blue apple menu about this Mac, etc.
Do you have the CD/DVDs that originally came with the Mac? Depending on your model, you should have one that says Apple Hardware Test. Run the hardware test.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Love the thread title. Just one note, cursing at the cursor will not help.
QUOTE Thanks
rexanders

It's a Mac Pro 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon with 12Gb ram running 10.8.4. I don't know if global freezing generates a crash report but I could have a hunt
QUOTE Thanks
rexanders

Incidentally, I don't think it's a hardware problem. I've run Techtool Pro and it's repaired permissions and found some other minor things to fix but reports no hardware glitch
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexanders View Post
I don't know if global freezing generates a crash report but I could have a hunt
It all depends on what's causing the issue. You can look through the Console application (/Applications/Utilities) and you might find something in there.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexanders View Post
Incidentally, I don't think it's a hardware problem.
Apple Hardware test doesn't duplicate all the tests of Techtool Pro - and it's free.
Using Apple Hardware Test
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hot or Not | Upgrade Mac OS X 10.4 to 10.5.8 »