New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Updating Firmware Ruined My MacBook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Dpaco

Dpaco is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook White 2007 Max OS X 10.4.11

I recently updated the firmware on my 2007 White MacBook Mac OS X Version 10.4.11 which is still running on tiger to "MacBook EFI Firmware Update" (1.1) which made my laptop: 1) run slower and 2) I cannot open flash required videos (youtube for ex) anymore

When i try to access any type of video it tells me to download the new version of flash player, the flash website tells me that my system requirements are not met to download flash (when before the firmware update, my system requirements were up to par)

So with that said I have two questions:
Is there anything I can do to simply fix this?
Should I bring in my laptop to an apple store or should I bring it to a different computer repair service?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

How did you update the firmware?

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I don't see that as a Firmware issue. It's probably a Tiger issue. New Flash version are no longer made for Tiger and older ones are being locked out for security reasons.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The firmware update you applied has nothing to do with Flash. The reason Flash isn't working is likely what dtravis7 stated.

Here's what Apple says about that firmware update:

This update improves the performance and reliability of Intel Core 2 Duo processors and fixes issues with Boot Camp for MacBook computers.

After the firmware is successfully applied to your computer, your BootROM Version will be:
MB21.00A5.B07

You can confirm the version of the BootROM installed on your computer using System Profiler.

Make sure the firmware update was successful by following the Apple instructions above.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Running a machine with an unsupported OS can be dangerous, and as you've noticed, rather inconvenient when a vendor third party vendor (like Adobe) abandons their own support for it. For a machine of that vintage, I would recommend upgrading to 10.6 at a minimum. Fortunately, even though it's two major revisions behind, it's still sold and well-supported.

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.)

....and if you're going to do it, do it soon.... because eventually Apple will stop selling it and at that point, the prices for any retail copies will skyrocket.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Invalid PMK AppleScript Error | Can't open JPGs Files on my Mac. »