Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Jul 16, 2013
    Posts
    33
    From a PC to an imac, advice please.
    Hi all, soon to jump the fence into Apple land. Twenty + years with Windows is enough. I plan on buying a 21 imac, latest version, with all the peripherals.

    So my question is, would it be better to wait for the imac with Maverick o/s installed, or buy the Mountain Lion version then do the upgrade later on.

    I would appreciate your thoughts.

  2. #2

    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    47,147
    Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    We're not expecting the new operating system "Mavericks" to be released until around the Fall. You can certainly wait if you wish, but if you want a new 21.5" iMac now, buy it and upgrade to the new version of OS X when it's released. No one knows for sure exactly when it will be released or what the cost will be, however, based on past releases from Apple, it should be an inexpensive upgrade.

    Some additional advice: If you intend to buy a new 21.5" iMac, make certain you max out the memory and order the size of the hard drive you need. The 21.5" iMac is not user upgradeable.

  3. #3

    RadDave's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 20, 2012
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,992
    Specs:
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.11.3
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    ..........Some additional advice: If you intend to buy a new 21.5" iMac, make certain you max out the memory and order the size of the hard drive you need. The 21.5" iMac is not user upgradeable.
    Hi Cashpoor - recent Apple switcher in the spring of this year - bought a MBP at the end of March and an iMac soon after - 21 1/2" w/ the hybrid drive - upgraded to 16 GB RAM which as already stated not a 'user option' - if you need the computer now then probably no reason to wait; the OS upgrade should be easy as already suggested - Dave

  4. #4


    Member Since
    Jan 22, 2010
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    20,911
    Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    The difference is probably a matter of $20 or so. The OS should not be a factor in your decision.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Advice welcomed on switching from 2008 iMac to new iMac
    By hindpool mac in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-04-2015, 08:20 PM
  2. Advice for a new iMac (21')
    By FranJMM in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-30-2014, 03:00 PM
  3. to iMac or not to iMac.... Advice wanted.
    By basementwaj in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-05-2014, 11:07 AM
  4. advice for getting first Imac
    By maclover248 in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-08-2011, 10:55 AM
  5. New IMac Advice
    By tgoldutah in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-24-2010, 12:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •