New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Using Terminal - Copied Folder Converted to Document

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

scamper3

scamper3 is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Using Terminal, my boss copied a folder on her desktop to another folder, also on her desktop. Somehow, in copying, she overwrote the destination folder - which contained other files. It changed the destination folder to a text file.

She closed the window before alerting me, so I don't know the exact path she typed. Still it was probably something like this:

Code:
cp -av [filepath/folders/to/copy] [filepath/destination]
She typed "cp -av" and dragged the folders into the Terminal window (she never typed the path). So, Terminal places the exact filepath. In the text file, it looks like the information is still there, it just needs to be converted back.

The odd thing, is that we performed some tests afterwards, performing the same steps with other directories, and it worked correctly - copied the entire folder and subsequent files into the destination folder intact. I and another have performed this before and after, again, with no problems.

I thought it might be because in Terminal, there was no end slash ("/"), but when testing, even though I didn't see end slashes, it copied over just fine.

I'd like to know if anyone else has experienced this issue and how they resolved it. I want to convert the document back to it's original folder structure.

The OS is 10.6.8.

Please let me know if I need to provide any further information.

Thanks.

Stephen
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 13in macbook - 10.10.1

If it hasn't been too long (days) open a Terminal and type 'history' without the quotes.
This will tell you what was typed to do this and might reveal a possible solution.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Or, if you haven't executed much else, just push the up arrow until you find the command. It's perhaps not as elegant as cradom's suggestion but I thought I'd throw another option in there.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
scamper3

scamper3 is on a distinguished road

Took a while to get the information.

Thanks - typing 'history' provided this:

Kxxx-Bxxx:~ kxxxxxxx$ history
1 /Volumes/1234567_MAC/LS\ Agency/\ \ \ \ \ \ TEMPORARY\ FOLDER/\ \ \ \ \ \ XYZ\ Client\ Sample\ files/XYZ\ Decision\ Guide/XYZDecGuide ; exit;
2 /Users/kxxxxxxx/Desktop/SF3-removal-tool.command ; exit;
3 cp -av /Users/kxxxxxxx/Desktop/Kxxxx /Users/kxxxxxxx/Desktop/\ CURRENT\ PROJECTS
4 cp -av /Users/kxxxxxxx/Desktop/\ CURRENT\ PROJECTS /Users/kxxxxxxx/Desktop/untitled\ folder
5 cp -av /Users/kxxxxxxx/Desktop/Segmentation\ Examps /Users/kxxxxxxx/Desktop/test
6 cp -av /Users/kxxxxxxx/Desktop/INFOGRAPHICS /Users/kxxxxxxx/Desktop/test
7 history

I don't know what #1 and #2 are. Those may be the ones that caused the problem. #3-6 look fine to me. #5 and #6 where the ones I watched her perform.

Does the line with "removal-tool.command" imply that the files were removed (deleted)?

Thanks.

Stephen
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 13in macbook - 10.10.1

Ok, first off, if you're working with Terminal a lot, don't use spaces in file/directory names. Too much work to escape them.
Also, don't use certain characters in names (/\ etc. It's very hard to read no 1, cant tell what's file/dir and what's an escape.
No 1: Some kind of command on an external drive?
No 2: looks like something 'might' have been removed.
No 3: copying Kxxxx into CURRENT PROJECTS
NO 4: copying CURRENT PROJECTS into untitled folder

More copy commands. I cant really see a mistake. Try ls -la in Terminal in the Desktop folder. Which folder turned into a file?

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

The SF3-removal-tool command file is the uninstaller for Suitcase Fusion (see here).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to transfer files from macbook Pro to Seagate GoFlex 500GB | Launching new processes spikes CPU to 100, running programs function as normal »