New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Imac can't "see" Macbook Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BladesMac

BladesMac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13 2.5 ghz I5 8g OS X Mavericks : iMac 27" Late 2012

If this isn't in the correct forum, I apologize in advance.

I have a an iMac27(dec 2012) at work. It is connected to a network via cable. MY Macbook Pro (summer 2012) sits next to my iMac and is connected via wifi. I can't see the other as a "shared" pc on either Mac.

I opened the finder and don't see the other. I then went to Network Utility and tried to ping each IP from the other and it fails. I have googled this and have looked at many articles on the web and believe my settings on both computers may be correct, yet I can't get them to connect.

Any ideas ?

Iphone 5, Ipad 1, Apple TV, Macbook Pro 13 july 2012, Ipod Touch4, iMac 27 late 2012
I choose to live in the Apple Matrix
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Are the wi-fi network and the cabled network connected? Often commercial premises have a guest or open wireless network that is isolated from the wired network.

Cable them both or connect them both wirelessly as a test

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
BladesMac

The wireless network is an open network. When both devises are on the wireless network, I can ping them from each other. They don't appear in the "shared" area though.

Iphone 5, Ipad 1, Apple TV, Macbook Pro 13 july 2012, Ipod Touch4, iMac 27 late 2012
QUOTE Thanks
BladesMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladesMac View Post
The wireless network is an open network. When both devises are on the wireless network, I can ping them from each other. They don't appear in the "shared" area though.

Correction: I can ping the Macbook from the iMac, but not the other way. Both on the wireless network.

QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming you have file sharing enabled on both and have shared out a folder appropriately.....

A lot will depend on which ports are open and the firewall rules on the network. You're probably best contacting the network admin. When you're on someone else's network, someone else's rules. No sense second guessing.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
BladesMac

I didn't realize that there were two wireless networks. So with that said, with both Macs on the same network, they can see each other.

The dilemma remains: Something is preventing me from seeing the iMac and Macbook on different networks. My boss also has two Macs (one hard wired and one on free wifi) they can both "see" each other. When I asked her how she did it, she said her Mac wizard did it for her and she has no idea how he did it.

QUOTE Thanks
BladesMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
Assuming you have file sharing enabled on both and have shared out a folder appropriately.....

A lot will depend on which ports are open and the firewall rules on the network. You're probably best contacting the network admin. When you're on someone else's network, someone else's rules. No sense second guessing.

I guess that may be the only answer, although the IT guy says my IP and her IP are on the unrestricted block, and the setting are they same. I just wanted to know from one of you tech savvy guys that I am not crazy and I should be able to screen share my MAc's from where ever i am.

QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

Without getting hands on with the network it's going to be educated guesswork but I'd start by duplicating your bosses network settings

QUOTE Thanks
BladesMac

Quote:
Without getting hands on with the network it's going to be educated guesswork but I'd start by duplicating your bosses network settings

Thanks. I will take it up once again with the IT guy. Is there ever a time when you can't screen share your Macs if the networks allow it ?

QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

No, should be fine so long as you know the username and password

QUOTE Thanks
BladesMac

Quote:
No, should be fine so long as you know the username and password
thanks

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Act like Windows -> click icon in dock to minimize/restore program windows in OSX | Runaway fan »