Thread: Copy failed

Copy failed
    Can anyone please help?
    I was in the process of copying files (in folders) to an external drive and the power was interrupted. Now the folder name exists (but is grey/gray) and says that there is 2.27Gb in the folder but i can't see the contents. How can i fix this?

Specs:
    Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
    can you overwrite the old folder by copying again?
    Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system

Quote Originally Posted by louishen View Post
    can you overwrite the old folder by copying again?
    hi louishen, when i try doing this i get this message "The selected items can’t all be put into the same location, because at least one of them named “2001” is busy."

Specs:
    Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
    OPen up the terminal program and at the promote type
    sudo rm -rf
    then a space (dont hit return yet

From the finder drag the greyed out folder into the terminal window so you get something like this

sudo rm -rf /Volumes/Media/Greyedoutfolder
    hit return - that will delete the errant folder
    Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    I say delete everything (partial copy) that is on the external drive...then try doing the copy again.

I also find if you are trying to copy a large amount of files...that doing it in smaller chunks is better. In other words...don't try copying 20,000 files all at once.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 5K, 512GB Flash Storage, 3.3Ghz, 16GB memory, OS X.11.5.
    And even suggest erase the external, reformatting and trying again.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Thanks for your help. If i do this, are the files that were in the process of being copied (moved, as it was a drag and drop) contained in the grayed out folder. Have these files actually been moved or are they still in their original location.

Quote Originally Posted by louishen View Post
    OPen up the terminal program and at the promote type then a space (dont hit return yet

From the finder drag the greyed out folder into the terminal window so you get something like this

hit return - that will delete the errant folder
    Thanks for your help. If i do this, are the files that were in the process of being copied (moved, as it was a drag and drop) contained in the grayed out folder. Have these files actually been moved or are they still in their original location.

Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    I say delete everything (partial copy) that is on the external drive...then try doing the copy again.

I also find if you are trying to copy a large amount of files...that doing it in smaller chunks is better. In other words...don't try copying 20,000 files all at once.

- Nick
    Thank you...i shall definitely move smaller chunks in future thanks for your help

Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    And even suggest erase the external, reformatting and trying again.
    not really an option to reformat the external, as almost 2T of data already stored there.

Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 5K, 512GB Flash Storage, 3.3Ghz, 16GB memory, OS X.11.5.
    Fingers crossed. Possible the external may have been corrupted by the power failure.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by jocka73 View Post
    If the original files were on an internal HD...and you wanted them stored on an external HD...then what you were doing was "copying" them from the internal to the external.

When the "copy" process was interrupted (or completed eventually)...the original files on the internal HD would still be there (untouched)...and you would also have brand new copies of the files on the external HD.

So to make a long story short...the files you were transferring to the external HD are untouched on your internal HD.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    If the original files were on an internal HD...and you wanted them stored on an external HD...then what you were doing was "copying" them from the internal to the external.

When the "copy" process was interrupted (or completed eventually)...the original files on the internal HD would still be there (untouched)...and you would also have brand new copies of the files on the external HD.

So to make a long story short...the files you were transferring to the external HD are untouched on your internal HD.

- Nick
    Thanks so much Nick, it makes perfect sense. My only issue is that i was moving one folder to another on an external drive...would the results be the same?

Thread Information