New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Copy failed

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jocka73

jocka73 is on a distinguished road

Can anyone please help?
I was in the process of copying files (in folders) to an external drive and the power was interrupted. Now the folder name exists (but is grey/gray) and says that there is 2.27Gb in the folder but i can't see the contents. How can i fix this?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

can you overwrite the old folder by copying again?

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
jocka73

Quote:
Originally Posted by louishen View Post
can you overwrite the old folder by copying again?
hi louishen, when i try doing this i get this message "The selected items can’t all be put into the same location, because at least one of them named “2001” is busy."
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

OPen up the terminal program and at the promote type
Quote:
sudo rm -rf
then a space (dont hit return yet

From the finder drag the greyed out folder into the terminal window so you get something like this

Quote:
sudo rm -rf /Volumes/Media/Greyedoutfolder
hit return - that will delete the errant folder

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

I say delete everything (partial copy) that is on the external drive...then try doing the copy again.

I also find if you are trying to copy a large amount of files...that doing it in smaller chunks is better. In other words...don't try copying 20,000 files all at once.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

And even suggest erase the external, reformatting and trying again.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
jocka73

Thanks for your help. If i do this, are the files that were in the process of being copied (moved, as it was a drag and drop) contained in the grayed out folder. Have these files actually been moved or are they still in their original location.
QUOTE Thanks
jocka73

Quote:
Originally Posted by louishen View Post
OPen up the terminal program and at the promote type then a space (dont hit return yet

From the finder drag the greyed out folder into the terminal window so you get something like this

hit return - that will delete the errant folder
Thanks for your help. If i do this, are the files that were in the process of being copied (moved, as it was a drag and drop) contained in the grayed out folder. Have these files actually been moved or are they still in their original location.
QUOTE Thanks
jocka73

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
I say delete everything (partial copy) that is on the external drive...then try doing the copy again.

I also find if you are trying to copy a large amount of files...that doing it in smaller chunks is better. In other words...don't try copying 20,000 files all at once.

- Nick
Thank you...i shall definitely move smaller chunks in future thanks for your help
QUOTE Thanks
jocka73

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
And even suggest erase the external, reformatting and trying again.
not really an option to reformat the external, as almost 2T of data already stored there.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Fingers crossed. Possible the external may have been corrupted by the power failure.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocka73 View Post
If the original files were on an internal HD...and you wanted them stored on an external HD...then what you were doing was "copying" them from the internal to the external.

When the "copy" process was interrupted (or completed eventually)...the original files on the internal HD would still be there (untouched)...and you would also have brand new copies of the files on the external HD.

So to make a long story short...the files you were transferring to the external HD are untouched on your internal HD.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
jocka73

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
If the original files were on an internal HD...and you wanted them stored on an external HD...then what you were doing was "copying" them from the internal to the external.

When the "copy" process was interrupted (or completed eventually)...the original files on the internal HD would still be there (untouched)...and you would also have brand new copies of the files on the external HD.

So to make a long story short...the files you were transferring to the external HD are untouched on your internal HD.

- Nick
Thanks so much Nick, it makes perfect sense. My only issue is that i was moving one folder to another on an external drive...would the results be the same?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Could not unmount disk: reinstallation | Sleep - Is this normal? »