New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Question...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

So... I use Conky on my Linux box and was wondering if there was anything similar for OS X.
Conky - Home
Is Geektool comparable. or as versatile?
NOT looking for something to run in X11.
Any suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

How about the iStat Menus application? Not the free version, but the paid version. ($16)

Download LINK
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future

Not exactly what I was looking for but thanks.
Looked around at Geektool and some scripts and it looks pretty good. Downloaded it and gonna play with it some.
There's also Nerdtool but the developers link at Macupdate is a 404. Not good.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cradom View Post
Is Geektool comparable. or as versatile?
Yea GeekTool 3 is bloody awesome and what you can do with it. It will do what you want and more cradom.

Ive always looked at Geeklets for scripts that i can customise to suit what i need.

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

That's one of the sites I found when I Googled for scripts. I see it's pretty much comparable to Conky. They both do bash and scripts, both have a scripting language (Lua vs Applescript) and both can incorporate graphics.
This is gonna be fun playing around with this.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
I guess we don't have to tell you to have a good backup handy first. We've seen several users who fooled around with Geektool and shut themselves out from the operating system.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Quote:
That's one of the sites I found when I Googled for scripts. I see it's pretty much comparable to Conky. They both do bash and scripts, both have a scripting language (Lua vs Applescript) and both can incorporate graphics.
You have a very interesting definition of fun my friend. I'm normally up for most forms of tinkering but that gives me the hives. lol

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
You have a very interesting definition of fun my friend. I'm normally up for most forms of tinkering but that gives me the hives. lol
Include me in cradom's group then.

Now I feel like tinkering around with GeekTool again...

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I figured you were king of that group. Or at least some sort of high placed minion waiting to pull off a coup. lol.

BTW speaking of geekery could you take a peek at this thread and see if you have any ideas? At one point I thought I had it worked out but never quite got things working.

It's mot a major issue now that I am leaving the system on forATV use but I would still like to know how it's done.

QUOTE Thanks
cradom

A little demo of what you can do with Conky: Conky Manager in 13.04 Cinnamon 1.8. Super conky package. Conkys made easy - YouTube
I was wondering... why not on OS X? Then I remembered Geektool. Looks like I might be able to do mostly the same stuff, possibly even more.
And fun? I once spent weeks trying to figure out why I couldn't compile and install some software.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Quote:
And fun? I once spent weeks trying to figure out why I couldn't compile and install some software.
I once spent weeks working on a series of Excel macros I was going to use for work. One night I was in Visual Basic working on, among other things, an if statement that would not behave. I looked at the clock about 11 p.m. and kept working. A few hours later I thought "1:00 a.m. time for bed". It was 4:00 a.m. in the morning.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Invalid certificate for 's-static.ak.facebook.com | bootcamp windows download »