New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Trouble Editing HTML Document With TextEdit

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

YourAdrenaline

YourAdrenaline is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here and I appreciate this forum being here. It looks like a great community.

I'm actually writing in an effort to help someone struggling with TextEdit and I cannot see their screen (They're 1500 miles away) and I have no experience with Macs so my help is minimal.

I'm hoping you guys could assist me, and here's my story;

I'm working with someone over the telephone in an attempt to enable them to edit an html document but we're having trouble.

Even after reviewing both of the articles below, the person at the other end is still having troubles but I believe this to be because they can't find the "Preferences" menu and I don't know where it is.

Here's what we have reviewed;
Quick Tip: Configure TextEdit for Coding HTML | Mactuts+
and
Mac OS X: How to Set Up TextEdit as an HTML or Plain Text Editor

If anyone could shed some light on this I'd be most appreciative and I thank you all in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

I would think that a text editor like text wrangler is a much better solution for html editing, especially as you get color coded code

Bare Bones Software | TextWrangler

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

louishen is right - the best solution to any problems you have with TextEdit and HTML editing is abandoning TextEdit. The reason for this is simple - TE is designed for lightweight text editing and rich text creation/editing. The last thing it was designed to do was edit code.

Adopt a better editor (such as TextWrangler or TextMate) and enjoy a much more productive environment.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Stuck on OS9 CD! | Cannot attach files to Mail »