New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

How to find the COM port number on macbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mac9346

Mac9346 is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I am using a usb to serial(rs232) converter so to connect to a small controller.

Due to programming reasons I need to find the com port number so to be able to connect to the device. Once I connect the converter on windows I just go to devices and printers and find the com number there.

But I cannot find it on my macbookpro runnning mountain lion 10.8.4.

Can someone please help?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Apple Menu (top-left_ - About this Mac etc. Not in front of my Mac at the moment but all the hardware info, com ports, interrupts etc are all there

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Mac9346

Hi mrplow

thanks for your reply.

Yes I found the usb to serial converter but not recognizing the COM port number.

On windows I find Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port (COM4) for example. but on the mac cannot find it. I found a location ID but there is not written the Comm port number as in windows. Do I need to include this location ID number instead of the Comm Port in the Matlab code to be able to connect?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

Did the device come with any drivers/software?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Mac9346

Yes it has a driver software for both mac and windows.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac9346

Hi,

Are there any suggestions for my problem pls.

Thanks in advance for your help
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

I've looked all over but it really depends on the adapter. What make and model is it?

QUOTE Thanks
Mac9346

Hi mrplow sorry for the delayed reply but I was not at home.

It is similar to this model in fact from the same website
USB to Serial Converter (CDLSB-901) product ranges from NEWLink

Thanks again for your help
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

Have a look here. Some useful info. But, I'm afraid, no comm port numbers. OSX and Unix just don't enumerate serial ports like that from what I can understand.

There is info on that page that gives you the device name. You may be able to use that in your code

QUOTE Thanks
Mac9346

Ill try it. Will contact you back later this week becuase I think that this link if helpful.

Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac9346

Hi mrplow,

Sorry for replying this late but I was a bit busy with other stuff.

The link you posted helped me a lot in fact OS X does not have COM port numbers I used "/dev/tty.usbserial" in my code in MATLAB and worked fine.

Thanks for your help :-)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Omnipage alternative for Mac | Mountain Lion - Icons for each "Desktop"? »