New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Trash won't empty

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Tazzie

Tazzie is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook, iMac, iPhone 5, iPod Touch, iPad 3rd Gen, AppleTV

I'm unable to empty my Trash (OS X 10.7.5) of backup files deleted from an external hard drive.

I'm not running any anti-virus software and have recently updated software and rebooted, still no luck.

Any suggestions?

Thanks heaps!

Jane
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Re-connect the external drive and then try it again.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Tazzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Re-connect the external drive and then try it again.
I disconnected hard drive and the trash deleted, yay!

Sadly though, when I reconnected the external drive, the trash reappeared. Bugger.

Guess I'm back to the drawing board ...

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Sadly though, when I reconnected the external drive, the trash reappeared. Bugger.
You're supposed to empty the trash with the external hard drive connected not the other way around!
QUOTE Thanks
Tazzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
You're supposed to empty the trash with the external hard drive connected not the other way around!
Yes, I tried first, several times, sadly with no success

Jane

QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Location: Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
IWT is a jewel in the roughIWT is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Lion) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Mavericks)

Hi Jane

What folks are saying is that "Trash" is directly related to the source which created the trash in the fist place.

So, if you had an external hard drive of any sort (USB included) and you deleted something to trash, the only way you can empty the trash is when you have the same device mounted/attached.

However, sometimes the trash won't empty even when the original source is mounted/attached. One way to solve this is to download the free app OnyX (Google it). But make sure that you download the version specific for your OS, in your case, Lion. Also ensure that your EHD or whatever is mounted/attached.

Once downloaded, open it in the usual way. It will scan your HD and thereafter ask you to verify your admin PW. Do this.

Then, from the options available from the main menu, select, "Cleaning" and then "Trash", then hit "Execute". This will empty all your trashes.

I hope this explains things and helps. Please report back.

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
Tazzie

Hi Ian

Many thanks for your help – OnyX worked!!

Cheers

Jane

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWT View Post
Hi Jane

What folks are saying is that "Trash" is directly related to the source which created the trash in the fist place.

So, if you had an external hard drive of any sort (USB included) and you deleted something to trash, the only way you can empty the trash is when you have the same device mounted/attached.

However, sometimes the trash won't empty even when the original source is mounted/attached. One way to solve this is to download the free app OnyX (Google it). But make sure that you download the version specific for your OS, in your case, Lion. Also ensure that your EHD or whatever is mounted/attached.

Once downloaded, open it in the usual way. It will scan your HD and thereafter ask you to verify your admin PW. Do this.

Then, from the options available from the main menu, select, "Cleaning" and then "Trash", then hit "Execute". This will empty all your trashes.

I hope this explains things and helps. Please report back.

Ian

QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Location: Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
IWT is a jewel in the roughIWT is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Lion) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Mavericks)

Delighted it worked Jane and thanks for reporting back. By doing so, others with a similar problem in the future can follow this thread.

OnyX, as you will have seen by now, is a powerful tool; to be used sparingly. But when you have a problem with your Mac, it often solves it.

Good luck.

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

Also you can try holding down Option while emptying the trash.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« paragon ntfs not working | Uninstall third party USB driver, macbook Air 10.8.3 »