Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Trash won't empty
    Tazzie's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 27, 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    20
    Specs:
    MacBook, iMac, iPhone 5, iPod Touch, iPad 3rd Gen, AppleTV
    Trash won't empty
    I'm unable to empty my Trash (OS X 10.7.5) of backup files deleted from an external hard drive.

    I'm not running any anti-virus software and have recently updated software and rebooted, still no luck.

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks heaps!

    Jane

  2. #2
    Trash won't empty
    bobtomay's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 22, 2006
    Location
    Texas, where else?
    Posts
    26,206
    Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '11 1.8 i7 4GB 10.10; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.10; 5s & 5c
    Re-connect the external drive and then try it again.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

  3. #3
    Trash won't empty
    Tazzie's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 27, 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    20
    Specs:
    MacBook, iMac, iPhone 5, iPod Touch, iPad 3rd Gen, AppleTV
    Thanks for suggestion
    Quote Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
    Re-connect the external drive and then try it again.
    I disconnected hard drive and the trash deleted, yay!

    Sadly though, when I reconnected the external drive, the trash reappeared. Bugger.

    Guess I'm back to the drawing board ...

  4. #4
    Trash won't empty
    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    45,194
    Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Yosemite
    Sadly though, when I reconnected the external drive, the trash reappeared. Bugger.
    You're supposed to empty the trash with the external hard drive connected not the other way around!

  5. #5
    Trash won't empty
    Tazzie's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 27, 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    20
    Specs:
    MacBook, iMac, iPhone 5, iPod Touch, iPad 3rd Gen, AppleTV
    Yes, I tried that first ...
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    You're supposed to empty the trash with the external hard drive connected not the other way around!
    Yes, I tried first, several times, sadly with no success

    Jane

  6. #6
    Trash won't empty
    IWT's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2009
    Location
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Posts
    889
    Specs:
    2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Mavericks) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Maver
    Hi Jane

    What folks are saying is that "Trash" is directly related to the source which created the trash in the fist place.

    So, if you had an external hard drive of any sort (USB included) and you deleted something to trash, the only way you can empty the trash is when you have the same device mounted/attached.

    However, sometimes the trash won't empty even when the original source is mounted/attached. One way to solve this is to download the free app OnyX (Google it). But make sure that you download the version specific for your OS, in your case, Lion. Also ensure that your EHD or whatever is mounted/attached.

    Once downloaded, open it in the usual way. It will scan your HD and thereafter ask you to verify your admin PW. Do this.

    Then, from the options available from the main menu, select, "Cleaning" and then "Trash", then hit "Execute". This will empty all your trashes.

    I hope this explains things and helps. Please report back.

    Ian

  7. #7
    Trash won't empty
    Tazzie's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 27, 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    20
    Specs:
    MacBook, iMac, iPhone 5, iPod Touch, iPad 3rd Gen, AppleTV
    Thank You!
    Hi Ian

    Many thanks for your help OnyX worked!!

    Cheers

    Jane



    Quote Originally Posted by IWT View Post
    Hi Jane

    What folks are saying is that "Trash" is directly related to the source which created the trash in the fist place.

    So, if you had an external hard drive of any sort (USB included) and you deleted something to trash, the only way you can empty the trash is when you have the same device mounted/attached.

    However, sometimes the trash won't empty even when the original source is mounted/attached. One way to solve this is to download the free app OnyX (Google it). But make sure that you download the version specific for your OS, in your case, Lion. Also ensure that your EHD or whatever is mounted/attached.

    Once downloaded, open it in the usual way. It will scan your HD and thereafter ask you to verify your admin PW. Do this.

    Then, from the options available from the main menu, select, "Cleaning" and then "Trash", then hit "Execute". This will empty all your trashes.

    I hope this explains things and helps. Please report back.

    Ian

  8. #8
    Trash won't empty
    IWT's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2009
    Location
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Posts
    889
    Specs:
    2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Mavericks) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Maver
    Delighted it worked Jane and thanks for reporting back. By doing so, others with a similar problem in the future can follow this thread.

    OnyX, as you will have seen by now, is a powerful tool; to be used sparingly. But when you have a problem with your Mac, it often solves it.

    Good luck.

    Ian

  9. #9
    Trash won't empty
    cradom's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 14, 2004
    Location
    Nederland, Texas
    Posts
    4,073
    Specs:
    13in macbook - 10.10.4
    Also you can try holding down Option while emptying the trash.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Trash won't empty !! HELP !!
    By curly0107 in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-07-2012, 09:29 AM
  2. Trash won't empty
    By LadySunshine in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-29-2012, 04:47 PM
  3. Trash won't empty
    By WilliamDu in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-19-2012, 10:44 PM
  4. Trash won't empty
    By Adam's Apple in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-11-2009, 12:49 AM
  5. Trash won't empty
    By iMacking in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-18-2007, 05:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •