New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Boot Camp

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

appleXcore

appleXcore can only hope to improve

I have 10.6.8 Can i download bootcamp from apple.com directly ? I see on the site a bunch of support downloads but not the ability to just purchase it and download it as a DMG. is a ISO cd the only way to get it done?

OS X 10.6.4
2GB RAM
2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

BootCamp version 3 is on Snow Leopard OS X.6 under Utilities. You did use a full retail install DVD to install Snow Leopard? Also update to OS X.6.8 using the Combo Updater. Consider increasing the memory on whatever Mac model this is on.

http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1399

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
appleXcore

OK i realize now It's built in. So i dig out my OSX install CDs that came with the mac book. and i did a 29GB partition and while trying to partition it I got this error message.

This Disk Cannot be Partitioned Because Some of the File cannot be removed-

Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again.

I guess its time to back up all my stuff and this will be a clean install ?

OS X 10.6.4
2GB RAM
2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute

Well 29GB is nowhere near enough ~ suggest at least 40GB. You have to Partition using the BootCamp Assistant. Print and read the guidelines. Before starting BootCamp, the drive must be in one single partition, Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
appleXcore

i was using the boot camp assistant. ive never tried to partition this HD before.

OS X 10.6.4
2GB RAM
2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo
QUOTE Thanks
appleXcore

under disk utility it says

Format : Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

soo.....I am already under the format I should be yes.

OS X 10.6.4
2GB RAM
2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

That error is a bit cryptic. What it's telling you is that your hard drive is fragmented. Although there may be enough empty space to create a Boot Camp partition, all your empty space is not continuous. You have two choices to fix it:

1. Make a Time Machine backup (full). Erase the hard drive, reinstall OS X and then restore from Time Machine. The fragmentation will be removed.

2. Third party de-fragmenting tool or utility. I use iDefrag which is $30.95, download from here.

The first method above works well and is free. Use that.
QUOTE Thanks
appleXcore

doing a time machine full back up now. after this can I just put in my OSX install CD or do i need to use Dissk Utility to erase my free space.

OS X 10.6.4
2GB RAM
2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

You can't erase the disk while you're booted from it, so yes, you'll need to boot with your OS X disk and use Disk Utility to erase and then reinstall.
QUOTE Thanks
appleXcore

well ...i...i....reinstalled...osx....and...every..time ...i...hit...the..space...a...bar...the..safari..w ind.ow...scrolls...down...instead.of.making.a.spac e.in.my.tex.t....and.the.back.space.wants.to.go.ba cl.....back...a.page...really...hard....to..type.. ..also...the...version...ofwindows...i...have...on ...disc....is....XP...not...XP...service..pack..2

OS X 10.6.4
2GB RAM
2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

You can not install XP SP nothing using Boot Camp. It has to be at least XP SP-2 and must be a full install version. Upgrades will not work.
QUOTE Thanks
appleXcore

I see. well it asked me to insert the disc and I said "not now" and patched up on my OSX. Ive decided I dont want to partition it anymore. iStat is showing the partition now as "BOOTCAMP" and it having 32GB...

What do I need to do to get rid of that partition? Do i have to intsall OSX all over again? AGAIN?

OS X 10.6.4
2GB RAM
2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Open the Boot Camp Assistant and use the option to remove Boot Camp. That should do it, however, if for some reason it doesn't, you'll need to boot with your OS X disk and use Disk Utility to remove it. The partition tab in Disk Utility is what you would use.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

XP with no service pack? Wow where did that come from?

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Believe it or not Harry, I've got an old upgrade Windows XP disk laying around with no service pack. I also have a full install XP SP 2 and SP 3 disk. As a matter of fact I've got more Windows install disks than I know what to do with - going all the way back to Windows 3.0.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problem with Epson WF-3540 wireless | Loading webpages is slow in all browsers »