New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

downlaod for OS 10.5?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Skillet01

Skillet01 is on a distinguished road

My niece has my old laptop, an iMac running OS 10.4.11. she needs to upgrade to Leopard. The dvd/cd drive on this machine is broken and will not work, although she has the install dvd for Leopard and for Snow Leopard Is there anyplace OS 5 can be downloaded? Apple web site has only updates, requiring Leopard to be already be installed.

Thanks,

Skillet
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I don't think so. That's why those discs are so expensive on eBay. If she has a laptop it can't be an iMac as those are desktop models. I say that to be picky about terminology but because in this case it matters.

If she has one of the Intel-baed iMacs then she can probably get an external DVD drive and use it to perform the install. Some but not all Power PC Macs could boot from USB drives.

BTW we also need to know which disc she has. If it is a gray Leopard disc it must be from the same type Mac as hers or it won't work. An iMac disc, for example, won't work on a MacBook. If it is a black disc she is probably Ok as far as type if disc goes.

For now let's pin down exact Specs..If the machine is operational boot the machine to the Finder and choose "About This Mac from the Apple menu. In the next window choose "more Information" and tell us the results.

If the Mac is not booting properly This article should help you determine where to look on the Mac. Scroll to the section that says Mac Series and find your machine.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Skillet01

Sorry--this is my first posting, and I left out some things and had some mistakes.

It is an iBook, not an iMac, with a slot loading DVD drive. The discs she has are the retail Leopard version, not the gray ones.The problem is with the drive itself, not the disc. The drive will not accept a disc, any disc. It will only allow the disc to go about halfway in. She has had their tech person at work look at it and he says the drive is 'broken'. She bought an external dvd drive, but the iBook won't recognize it. I cannot find any Leopard versions on Apple's website, for sale or otherwise, other than free updates. I was told they do not sell old OS, but only offer free updates for existing Leopard versions. I thought some place might offer Leopard as a download, but all I can find for sale are the discs.

Skillet01
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

No the problem is older PowerPC macs will not boot from an external optical drive alas. Leopard is not available as a download unless you pirate it and then strongly suggest never putting it on the computer. Good way to get malware and other nasty little grubs.

Not to be negative however it may well be time to look at updating the computer. Snow Leopard OS X.6 will only install on an Intel model Mac.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I have to second harry's opinion. We're talking about an iBook -- which means it is AT LEAST seven years old, probably much older. It has a broken optical drive and can't run any modern software or modern web elements.

There is IMHO zero point in spending any more time, money or effort upgrading this machine. Get a new(er) one. I'd suggest from 2009 upwards for the best value, the newer the better.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

I'll +1 that but if you're feeling adventurous . . . .

How to install Mac OSx from USB on a PowerPC Powerbook G4 | Lifedigital2010's Blog

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Skillet01

Thanks to those who replied to my question. The niece in question is only 9 yrs old at this time, and the computer was a hand-me-down from a relative. Her parents were hoping to wait a couple more years before investing in a newer computer. She can use this one for lots of things, but for some reason, for her school work she needs at least Leopard, they tell her. So she can use her mom's until time for a newer one of her own.

Skillet01
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillet01 View Post
, but for some reason, for her school work she needs at least Leopard, they tell her.
If you could find out why they are saying that, it might help. Perhaps they are incorrect, from a technical standpoint.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Maybe, but they are probably correct. They will be wanting her to use modern applications, which aren't made for Tiger anymore. Leopard is indeed the bare minimum I would imagine.

If you really, really want to hold on to this hardware -- the solution is to buy a retail copy of Leopard (this will be very expensive, at least $120 or so).

If she needs something newer and the budget is tight, look at an iPad with a keyboard case or a used MacBook, which should be going cheap. If she doesn't need a portable, look for a used Intel Core2Duo (very important, that part) Mac mini.

The bottom line here is that a PowerPC-based machine is a dead end, and past the end of its useful life-cycle. She needs a machine that can run at least Snow Leopard going forward. Even a 2007-era MacBook would be good for another year or two I should think.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Transferring iPhoto & Fonts from Snow Leopard | Should I upgrade to OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) »