Specs:
    Late '09 iMac; Late '11 MBAir
    Major Mail problems....
    I have been having some major problems with my e-mail program on both my late 2011 model MBAir and my late 2009 iMac running the latest 10.8.4 OS. This has been going on now about two weeks.

Synopsis: Two weeks ago, I could not log on at all to any of my e-mail aco****s without having that maddening box drop down and say my password wasn't not correct. I have 3 e-mail addresses I use, two based with AT&T, and one me.com Apple addy.

The majority of the probs are with the AT&T accounts. I was getting pestered every time I sent an e-mail to re-enter my password...that wouldn't work, even hitting it 20-30 times, the box kept popping up. I'd just quit and go get a Maker's Mark. This would happen occasionally on the me.com account too, but that's the one I trust most but only allow a few folks to know that addy.

After several days, I called AT&T. They had been having some problems during server upgrades and after about 30 minutes with a savvy tech I was back up and running. I thought my problems were over. They were, for about a day.

Until today.

I just tried to send a couple of emails....and they never left my machine. No 'whoosh' sound, nothing. They didn't appear in my sent box, nor did they go into my draft box. Where the he** are they? There is no indicator in my program that they were ever sent, or saved as a draft.....nothing. Needless to say, this flummoxed feeling is not good....

Another thing....

My e-mail accounts now just switch off whenever they want to, IOW, they go offline whenever. I've never had this problem before. Ever. Now, every time I open the mail program, all of them are offline, and after I turn them on, am lucky enough to send an e-mail or two, then they switch themselves off again; showing the tilde sign or the little 'nuclear radiation' sign next to each account.

If this were a windows machine, I'd think I have something viral. Or maybe hacked.

In another thread here, I was told to go get the Mozilla mail proggie.... but after reading about that, and it is constantly being upgraded almost weekly, I am not sure about switching to something that may be better, or may be worse.

Any ideas?

Heading to the frig for some ice....... :-)

Cheers, as always!

Pat

Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    In another thread here, I was told to go get the Mozilla mail proggie.... but after reading about that, and it is constantly being upgraded almost weekly, I am not sure about switching to something that may be better, or may be worse.
    Yeah, I remember that thread. No point switching to Thunderbird if it's an ISP problem which yours seems to be. By the way, Thunderbird is a fairly nice eMail and News client albeit with lots of upgrades. (Typical of Mozilla) But what the heck, it's free.

Specs:
    Late '09 iMac; Late '11 MBAir
    Hey chs!

As always, thanks for the reply!

I still may give Thunderbird a try. WTH...the price is right! ;-) And they probably don't upgrade it as much as my iPhone IOS does!

One question for you. Is there a way to keep my e-mail accounts online all the time? Until these problems surfaced, they never shut off....now they go offline whenever they want. I do not recall ever tweaking the option to go offline after receiving e-mail.

TIA!

Cheers!

Pat

Thread Information