New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Should I upgrade to OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

smock

smock is on a distinguished road

Hello,

My HDD unexpectedly died :-(. As a result, I bought a new drive and had to boot through the Snow Leopard Installer CD that came with the mac. Prior to the hard drive crash, I had OS X Lion (10.7) installed. However, I'm no longer able to access the OS X Lion that I purchased via the apple store. I've tried various suggestions that were posted online as to how to access it but to no avail.

I've given up and I'm thinking about purchasing OS X mountain lion. Before I do, I'm kindly requesting some assistance. Is it similar to OS X Lion? Better? worth it?

Any information that can be provided is much appreciated.

Please advise.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

It's similar to Lion, better, and costs $20. I think it's a no-brainer, personally.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Did you update to OS X.6.8, go into App Store and follow how to download again udsing Option/Purchases? And as chas_m says .. better.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
peterbj7

peterbj7 is on a distinguished road

So can I take you all recommend I upgrade from 10.6.8 to 10.8?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

That depends... which Mac do you have? If you have an older Mac, then Snow Leopard will probably be a better choice. Also, Snow Leopard is the last version of OS X that can successfully run PPC coded apps. Lion and Mountain Lion are Intel only.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

If... you are already using Lion.

If... your Mac meets the spec for installing ML.
(and this should be verified with older Macs prior to purchasing it)

If... you have a minimum 4GB RAM.
(the way Safari and FF eat memory, wouldn't even consider installing ML on any machine with less than 4GB)

Then... I'd install ML without hesitation.

For those still running SL, you must determine if you are still using any PPC code apps that you either can't or are unwilling to replace with newer versions.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
peterbj7

My MBP came with 10.6, and is less than 2 years old. But I've read the most alarming reviews on the Apple site about upgrading from 10.6 to 10.8.
QUOTE Thanks
techiesteve

techiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz, MacBook 2.16 GHz, iPhone 5

As you have a new hard drive and fresh install of 10.6.8 you should have no trouble upgrading to Mountain Lion, go for it. I run it on three Mac's older than yours and never regret the upgrade.

Steve Bell
UK
QUOTE Thanks
peterbj7

What are the benefits? And once I upgrade the OS, am I then entitled to the latest versions of iLife?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Peter:

1. I wouldn't pay the slightest attention to "alarming" reviews on the Apple site. 99.5 percent of such reviews are either from incompetent users who blame Apple for their own failures (we see this A LOT even on this forum!) or b) people with an axe to grind that are using this method to "get back" at Apple because (see point a).

2. What are the benefits of Mountain Lion? Too numerous to list, but here's Apple's summary:

Apple - OS*X Mountain Lion - Move your Mac even further ahead.
QUOTE Thanks
peterbj7

And what about iLife?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

If iLife is already installed, you won't lose the apps by updating to Mountain Lion.
QUOTE Thanks
peterbj7

No, but will I get the ILife apps that are issued with 10.8, or will I just keep,the ones I have?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

but *conceivably* you might need to upgrade the iLife apps to the latest versions (or want to in order to take advantage of the changes/features/improvements).

If you are already running what used to be known as "iLife '11" then you already have (or can get through Software Update) the latest versions and don't need to do anything.

If you originally bought "iLife 09" or earlier, you will probably want to upgrade to the Mac App Store versions of iPhoto, iMovie and Garageband. The good news is that they are available separately and are SUPER CHEAP, selling for $15 each. You can only upgrade the ones you want -- so if you don't use say Garageband, you don't have to upgrade it.

iWeb and iDVD are no longer supported, but they continue to work in Mountain Lion as they did before. Who knows how long that will continue, though.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

No, iLife apps are not "issued" with, nor are they a part of the operating system.

See above.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« downlaod for OS 10.5? | Guest account home folder recovery possible? »