New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Wireless Home Entertainment

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

duffyearl

duffyearl is on a distinguished road

okay so this might be a touch hard to explain. I have a Macbook Pro with itunes all that jazz. i usually plug my macbook into my speaker system and then use my iphone as a remote. is there a way to run my library off of a hard drive or some other thing that will allow me to play the music over a speaker system and still have control from my phone? appletv? thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

I have a slightly more expensive version. I use a MacMini with the library on an external HDD. 4 TB worth. I have an Apple TV connected to my main TV and stereo system. I leave the Mini on all the time with iTunes loaded up.

Now, you can do the same thing by getting an Airport Express connected to your Stereo and set it up with AirPlay. then, just forward all the sound to that AirPlay and bam, all music from the phone is now going to the stereo. You can do the same with an AppleTV (probably better in the long run if you want to connect to your TV) and use the optical out on the ATV to hook up to the stereo. the ATV will need to be hooked up to a TV or some HDMI source to get set up, where the Airport Express does not.

All depends on what your final end goal is. I started with the Airport Express, and transitioned to the full MacMini as a media center driving 2 Apple TVs in the house. works wonderfully.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Air 2 128 GB LTE, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« SSD in optical bay? | Approved Applications for photo editors »