New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Laughing baby malware

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Cabodude

Cabodude is on a distinguished road

I have a malware on my MacBook. It makes the sound of a laughing baby. Anyone know what this is and how to get rid of it?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Virus? Mac os 10.5 laughing machine - The macosxhints Forums

Read down a few posts and see if that is your issue. I know of no malware for OSX that laughs!
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Welcome to the forums.

It maybe.... but it's unlikely to be malware. Probably just an app that uses that sound to notify you of something.

But to help we're going to need some more info:
1. Which version of OSX do you have?
2. Have you installed any software recently? If so, what?
3. When does it do it?
4. Is the action repeatable?
5. Which apps do you have running and loading at start up? (See System Preferences - accounts - your user - login items)
6. Does it persist if you disconnect from the internet?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
alicepattinson

alicepattinson is on a distinguished road

And that is really scary to hear a baby laugh out of no where. Creepy! hahahaha
QUOTE Thanks
Cabodude

Cabodude is on a distinguished road

My MAC is running 10.7.5.. I haven't installed any software recently. It seems to happen to happen when it goes to sleep, or power save mode. No it isn't very repeatable but I will keep an eye on it. Login items are iTunes helper, adobe resource synchronizer, WD security helper, dropbox and blackberry device manager. Not much..

Currently I downloaded Intego virus software and am running a full scan.

It maybe.... but it's unlikely to be malware. Probably just an app that uses that sound to notify you of something.

But to help we're going to need some more info:
1. Which version of OSX do you have?
2. Have you installed any software recently? If so, what?
3. When does it do it?
4. Is the action repeatable?
5. Which apps do you have running and loading at start up? (See System Preferences - accounts - your user - login items)
6. Does it persist if you disconnect from the internet?[/QUOTE]
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Powered Down during update now grey screen | back up drive »