New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Do I need to update 6.03,4.07 for mountain lion

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JHR1023

JHR1023 is on a distinguished road

I have heard in the new update for the for the mountain lion that fixes digital RAW 4.07, and AirPort 6.03. Do I need to update these both of these? any help would be appreciated. I am new to mac and I don't know all the in's and out's.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Depends if you need them. It couldn't hurt to update them just in case but if you don't want to update something, just read over the description. For example, if there is an update for HP printer drivers but you don't own or use one, skip it. My advice for those that you don't understand - update it.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Normally, the material presented to you in Software Update is tailored for your computer, and thus you do in fact need to install it. The only time I've seen it get confused is when (for example) someone USED to own an HP printer, but got a new one and never deleted the HP printer from the printer list. Under those circumstances, one would continue to receive HP printer updates (which do no harm whatsoever) even though they don't have an HP anymore.

In the case of the Digital RAW update, you're probably not taking photos in RAW format so technically you could skip that -- but it's supplying compatibility to iPhoto and Aperture in the event that you move to a more professional camera so that the support will already be there. Again there is no harm or significant space taken by installing it, and it keeps iPhoto/Aperture up to date, so long story short -- if Software Update says there are the updates you need, you should install them. You don't have to do it right that instant, but you should do them.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Magic Mouse quit working after security update | Help me kill and resurrect my '08 13"? »