New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Os x 10.8.4

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Yodda_Hunter

Yodda_Hunter is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro (i5)

guys,my mac already has OS X ML installed on it so when i went to buy it from the app store,it said OS X ML already installed on your mac. will i pay for it,or it's free for me?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodda_Hunter View Post
guys,my mac already has OS X ML installed on it so when i went to buy it from the app store,it said OS X ML already installed on your mac. will i pay for it,or it's free for me?
If you already have Mountain Lion installed on your computer...then 10.8.4 is a free update. Just go to the Apple drop down menu & select "Software Update".

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Yodda_Hunter

yeah the software is already pre-installed,but when i went to the store i found it not purchased so i tried to download it again by pressing buy button and it's downloading now. will apple take money for it?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
yeah the software is already pre-installed,but when i went to the store i found it not purchased so i tried to download it again by pressing buy button and it's downloading now. will apple take money for it?
What is the real question here? Your computer already has Mountain Lion installed on it...and if you want OS 10.8.4...then it's a free update via "Software Update" under the Apple drop down menu.

"Software Update" is not the Mac App Store...so if you just need/want to update to 10.8.4...you don't need to be using the Mac App Store.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
Yodda_Hunter

don't drive me crazy please i said if i downloaded it from the store will i pay?
QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Location: Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
IWT is a jewel in the roughIWT is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Lion) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Mavericks)

I think you may be confusing "upgrade" with "update".

If you had been moving from Lion (10.7.x) to Mountain Lion (10.8.x) that would be an "upgrade" for which you would need to pay.

In your case, Mountain Lion was pre-installed (therefore already paid for) and what I believe you are doing is "updating" from an earlier version (say, 10.8.3) to the latest which is 10.8.4. There is no charge for this or any subsequent "updates' (say to 10.8.5).

But when Maverick becomes available (10.9.0), then that is an "upgrade" to a new OS and you would have to pay for that.

Hope this explains things for you.

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
Yodda_Hunter

guys,i'll explain again. i have pre-installed "OS X ML 10.8.4 ". when i go to the App store i can find that the OS it self ain't purchased(OS X hadn't been purchased form the store). so i tried to buy it from store(Already have it pre-installed) so will apple take money?(after buying it appeared in the Purchases list.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
don't drive me crazy please i said if i downloaded it from the store will i pay?
I'm not trying to "drive you crazy". I'm trying to inform you how things work. If you know how things work...then there will be less confusion in the future.

"Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime!"

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
guys,i'll explain again. i have pre-installed "OS X ML 10.8.4 ". when i go to the App store i can find that the OS it self ain't purchased(OS X hadn't been purchased form the store). so i tried to buy it from store(Already have it pre-installed) so will apple take money?(after buying it appeared in the Purchases list.
Firstly...you didn't explain this fully already...so you are not "explaining it again". You never told us in your original post that OS 10.8.4 was the OS version that is installed. All you said was...that you had Mountain Lion installed (you didn't say which version).

The more important question is...If you already have OS 10.8.4 installed on your computer...WHY are you trying to download it??

Your computer already has OS 10.8.4 installed on its "main" partition...and OS 10.8 is the OS version that's installed on your computers recovery partition.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Yodda_Hunter

CUZ if i wanted to restore it,i should have an exist copy of OS X
QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Lion) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Mavericks)

Yodda_Hunter

You are not mad or crazy; possibly confused.

Your Mac has ML (10.8.4) pre-installed, therefore paid for.

Two ways of doing things—

One. Click on the Apple icon, top left Menu bar and select "Software Update". It will check your system and, almost certainly, tell you that your software is up to date.

Two. Click on App Store and from the top men select "Updates". This will do the same thing, namely, check your system, and report no further updates available

Either way, move on and enjoy your Mac.

My guess is that you are looking for a purchase receipt for ML which will not be there as it came pre-installed and therefore pre-purchased.

You have no need to buy ML again. It's there, it's working, it's for you to enjoy.

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
CUZ if i wanted to restore it,i should have an exist copy of OS X
You don't need to download it from the store to reinstall OS X (should you ever need to do that). Simply boot into the recovery partition and use that (more info here).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Ah...If you need to restore, there is already a partition on your hard drive which allows this. Should you need to; you reboot holding down the option key (marked alt) and the select "recovery" from the options offered. From here you could use Disk Utility to repair the HD and other possibilities are available. At worse, you could restore ML. An even worse scenario, you could reboot holding down the "R" key which gives you the option of reinstalling ML from the internet.

No charge for any of these things.

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

And if the machine came with Mountain Lion pre-installed yes you will be paying for this download from the App Store. Will be treated as a normal purchased download.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Yodda_Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
And if the machine came with Mountain Lion pre-installed yes you will be paying for this download from the App Store. Will be treated as a normal purchased download.
that's what i was asking for,thank you
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Enabling Java | Automatic wi-fi disabling »