New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

bless tool issues

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Lawkessie

Lawkessie is on a distinguished road

When I go through my Mac's System Preferences and try to reboot in Windows, this message appears:

"The bless tool was unable to set the current boot disk."

I've had Windows through Boot Camp for about a week now, and it's been running fine until just now. Any fixes?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Are you using a third party boot menu program? Maybe rEFIt?
QUOTE Thanks
Lawkessie

No am not. ''refit''?? please help
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

The bless tool is an application that is part of the default OS X install. As per the man page (manual), it will "modify the volume bootability characteristics of filesystems, as well as select the active boot volume" (source). Now, I'd love to help "re-bless" your install but, to be honest, I don't know how to use the tool so I hesitate to provide suggestions since the consequences could be disasterous.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Lawkessie

so any idea who can help?? i really need some files on may windows startup disk and am not too familiar with Mac
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

OK, you're not using rEFIt. (It has a special "blessing" tool built in.) Which version of Windows are you using? What I suggest is to try repairing Windows with your Windows disk but we have to know which version. However, you can go to the MS site and get the instructions on how to do a repair yourself but you do need to enter which version you're using.
QUOTE Thanks
Lawkessie

am using windows7 but i do not have the windows disk to do the repairing , any other ideas please
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Sorry, but I don't know of another way to repair Windows 7 without the DVD disk. If you downloaded Windows 7 from the Microsoft store, you can use the executable file to make an ISO and from that a bootable Windows 7 disk.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« apps store can't connect to the internet | mail password »