"Document" file without an extension / file type?
    I was looking in a cache for a program and saw that there were a lot of file types listed only as "Document" with no file extension.

Here is an example:

Now, when I press the spacebar for a preview an image comes, this is an actual file...however, not having a file type (even when I do Cmd+I) there is no way to search for these "Documents".

Can anybody tell me why this is, what file types these are and how to search for them since the names are randomized and I can't search by file type?

P.S. Yes...I have gone to Finder > Preferences > Show All Extensions....and still these "Documents" don't have a file type associated with them.

27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3
    Where are you finding these files? Generally you find these kinds of files in temp or cache folders of browsers..since the browsers have to download content from websites, a lot of them cache the data and only update changed things..but since these files aren't really meaningful to you, they get randomly generated names..

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.

North Louisiana, USA
    2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone 6+
    Which program's cache files were you examining? If it was a web browser then it could have been almost any web page element.
    Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling

Thread Information