New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

restore/install disc

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

grummanite

grummanite is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: IMac 10.6.7/ 3.06GHZ IPhone 4S, IPad4 retina

How can I make a restore/install disc for my new retina 15" MPB?

Crusty Biker
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

You can put Mountain Lion on a USB stick and have for safe keeping, and if you follow the instructions here you should be fine.

How to Make a Bootable OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion USB Install Drive

But the easiest way is with Lion Disk Maker and download it and read up about it here.
I would personally go with the Lion Disk Maker way

HTH

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.9.4

A related question from another 'new' OS X user - my r-MBP is being backed up w/ Time Machine - I've also made a USB drive w/ the Apple 'Recovery Disk Assistant' - quoted information below from the link - I'm just curious what the advantages and/or disadvantages apply to this means of disk failure recovery vs. the two methods mentioned in the previous post? Just wanting to know if I've done enough or whether I should also add another layer of protection? Thanks all - Dave

Quote:
Open Recovery Disk Assistant and follow the on screen instructions to create a Recovery HD on the external drive.

When the Recovery Disk Assistant completes, the new partition will not be visible in the Finder or Disk Utility. To access the external Recovery HD, connect the drive, then restart the computer and hold the Option key. Select Recovery HD from the Startup Manager.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

The USB thumb drive, which is bootable when installed using Lion DiskMaker, is a great way of formatting, partitioning and installing the operating system in the event you have a disastrous hard drive failure. And it is free if you have downloaded from the App Store.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Scan documents form Pixma 870 to Mac email | Help Deleting a Directory/File »