New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Going from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rsherid

rsherid is infamous around these parts
Mac Specs: 13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.

I refused to update my OS X even though I got a 2011 aluminum MacBook and stuck with Snow Leopard. However, now I want to use iCloud to so I have to upgrade. Will the $20 download of Mountain Lion retain all of my settings if I install it? Anything to look out for? I have Time Machine backups.

Settings include desktop, preferences, the "look" of your OS X, etc.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

No problems at all.

To have Snow Leopard it must be the early 2011 model. It will update fine BUT be aware any older software such as Office 2004 etc which are PowerPC will not run as no more Rosetta. Just download from the App Store, make a USB bootable thumb drive using LionDiskMaker before running the installer, install without formatting the drive.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
unbiasedmacuser

unbiasedmacuser is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1st gen 2012 baseline retina 15" with 16gb ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
No problems at all.

be aware any older software such as Office 2004 etc which are PowerPC will not run as no more Rosetta.
I thought that leopard was the last powerpc supported version of OSX? You should be fine, you will most likely have to reverse the scrolling in system preferences though (Unless you decide you like it) but that's easy.
QUOTE Thanks
techiesteve

techiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz, MacBook 2.16 GHz, iPhone 5

The default Snow Leopard install doesn't support PPC applications, but will if Rosetta is selected during a customised install or if additional installs is later selected and run from the install DVD.

I run a variety of OS X versions on different Macs, and am quite happy with Mountain Lion.

Steve Bell
UK
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How do I repartition using Disk Utility? | "Document" file without an extension / file type? »