New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

External drive not accessable

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

unbiasedmacuser

unbiasedmacuser is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1st gen 2012 baseline retina 15" with 16gb ram

I was watching a movie on my external hdd when it paused and wouldn't resume. I closed vlc and tried to re-open the file but finder kept giving me an error box. I removed and re-inserted the HDD and found my way back to the file, only for the drive to un-mount. Again, I re-tried this and from then on I haven't been able to access the drive on my mac. A windows 8 laptop opens it just fine. The only information it can get from the drive in osx is how much space it has left (using quicklook)...This is what it looks like:

Opening the drive
Uploaded with ImageShack.com

After a while it just does this (look at the bottom of finder)

It keeps un-mounting but I managed to get inspector open

Anyone got any ideas on this?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Was the drive unmounted properly?
QUOTE Thanks
unbiasedmacuser

Every time I un-mount it, it do it properly. After this has happened, it is un-mounting itself bust isn't showing the "unmounted improperly" dialogue. The only thing I can think of is copying the files to another disk in windows and formatting but I don't have any other drives to do that...
QUOTE Thanks
unbiasedmacuser

bump. Anyone? I don't want to buy a new HDD to format my current one
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Looks like Windows 8 has reformatted the drive. if it appears in Disk Utiltiy you can format there.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

It appears you were using Tuxera NTFS to read and write to the drive since it looks like the original format was NTFS. While OS X can read from a NTFS formatted drive, it's not recommended to watch movies from it. Besides, Tuxera is buggy and can cause errors.

Do as Harry says and the drive should be OK. You will, however, lose everything on the drive if you don't wish to copy what's on it to your Windows computer or another external hard drive.
QUOTE Thanks
unbiasedmacuser

Okay so I've fixed it by uninstalling all 3rd party mounting software and re-installing tuxera again. it seems the first time I did it it wasn't enough... You say tuxera is buggy, is there any better way? While trying to fix the problem I ran into this but I'm hesitant because it sounds just a little too far fetched. For now I will be happy with tuxera but any better option sounds a lot better. Do you know if it's safe to try the trick in terminal?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

We know about the editing of fstab, however, that is dangerous and can cause errors. Stay away from the terminal unless you really know what you're doing and have a verifiable backup that you can rely on if something goes wrong. The only third party driver we recommend is Paragon NTFS ($19.95) from Paragon software. It's stable and works. Download from here.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hard Drive Died; Trouble installing new hard drive | install snow leopard on a Macbook Air »