New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Eject a disc

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

msmcis

msmcis is on a distinguished road

I don't seem to have an eject button. Where can I find it?

Mac OS X
Version 10.7.5
Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Startup Disk HD
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

What Mac do you have? You can drag the icon for the disc to the trash to eject the media..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Multiple ways to do it. It would help if we knew if you had a laptop or desktop.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

All this guesswork!

I am shocked you Moderators are not mind readers!

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
msmcis

Mac OS X
Version 10.7.5
Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Startup Disk HD

Is the information above not enough to indicate what computer I use? If you scroll up you will see that I had originally posted this information along with my question.

I't a laptop!

Dragging the disc icon to the trash worked and I was able to force quite and eject, but why is there no eject button option, without having to send the icon to the trash?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmcis View Post
Is the information above not enough to indicate what computer I use?
Actually no! That information does not indicate if it's a laptop or a desktop.

If it was a desktop computer...and you were using a non-Apple keyboard...then there would not be an eject key on a non-Apple keyboard.

This is why I needed to know if you had a laptop or a desktop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmcis View Post
...but why is there no eject button option, without having to send the icon to the trash?
There is an eject button on Apple laptop keyboards. It's the key in the very upper right of the keyboard. The one with the triangle with a line under it.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
msmcis

Okay, I see! Thank you very much for your help. You solved my problem.
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.9.4

I guess Apple makes different keyboards - I have a new 13" r-MBP purchased at the end of March and the right upper corner of the KB does not look like the pic below - in place of the eject button is the power one. Now, not a problem, dragging an icon to the trash, using the drop down menu, or opening Finder and selecting the eject option there have all worked fine for me. Dave

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadDave View Post
I guess Apple makes different keyboards - I have a new 13" r-MBP purchased at the end of March and the right upper corner of the KB does not look like the pic below - in place of the eject button is the power one.
I think that you're going to do a "face-palm" when I explain why your keyboard is different:

The reason why your 13" retina MacBook Pro keyboard does not have an eject button is...it does not have an optical drive. Thus it does not need to have a specific optical drive eject button on the upper right of the keyboard like laptops with an optical drive.

But you are correct...Apple has had different keyboard layouts over the years. Specifically the function specific keys (top row) have been moved around a bit. But the optical drive eject key has always been in the upper right (until the release of the laptops without an optical drive).

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Good catch Nick. That never occurred to me. Even after I looked at a picture of that keyboard.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
Good catch Nick. That never occurred to me. Even after I looked at a picture of that keyboard.
Thanks! Yeah...I sort of over-looked this little detail as well when thinking about the OP's question.

OP never really made it clear exactly what model computer (laptop) they have. But from the specs at the beginning of the thread & the OS version (10.7.5)...it did not appear to be a MacBook Air or retina MacBook Pro (both with no optical drive).

A great reminder that "RadDave's" post inspired. Since we may get this sort of question from other folks with newer (non-optical Apple notebooks)...asking "Where's my eject key??" Answer: "You don't have one...you don't have an optical drive!"

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.9.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Thanks!
A great reminder that "RadDave's" post inspired. Since we may get this sort of question from other folks with newer (non-optical Apple notebooks)...asking "Where's my eject key??" Answer: "You don't have one...you don't have an optical drive!"
Thanks Nick - obvious reason that I should have grasped quickly - but you know, when I had my SuperDrive attached (ripping & burning some CD-Rs) for the first time, I was wondering about a disc ejection button (really not needed, of course, plenty of other ways now that I'm getting around the laptop more easily) - Dave
QUOTE Thanks
tapiot

tapiot is on a distinguished road

I finally ended up closing the application, then reopen, mount the disc, then eject. Very crude
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Cannot save Numbers and Pages... | hello! cannot sign in to youtube from imovie »