earplugs for macbook pro
    hey everyone
    I wanted to inquire whether it is OK (safe) to use sennheiser earplugs while using macbook pro, I simply prefer to watch films or listen to music while having them plugged in as my place has this distracting noise traveling all around the place

http://cdn.cnet.com.au/story_media/3...x_300_II_1.jpg

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    These earplugs (or earphones/earbuds)...don't appear to be any different than any other set. So then the question becomes...is it safe to wear any set of earphones/earbuds.

Research has shown that many folks turn the volume up way too high when using these...and if this is done repeatedly over the long term...hearing damage can occur.

So the concern really isn't about whether these specific earbuds are ok/safe...it's more about being careful not to turn the volume up too high when using them.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    These earplugs (or earphones/earbuds)...don't appear to be any different than any other set. So then the question becomes...is it safe to wear any set of earphones/earbuds.

Research has shown that many folks turn the volume up way too high when using these...and if this is done repeatedly over the long term...hearing damage can occur.

So the concern really isn't about whether these specific earbuds are ok/safe...it's more about being careful not to turn the volume up too high when using them.

- Nick
    nick thanks for a quick response
    I don`t turn up the volume excessively loud as those earbuds have a `profound` sound, extracting even the difficult-to-hear aural files
    my question was merely about its possible potential to cause any sort of damage to the hardware but I worry needlessly
    thanks for taking time

Specs:
    27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 6S, iPod Nano 7th GeniPad 3
    The headphone jack is designed to accept headphones, any headphones that have a compatible connector. What possible damage to the hardware could you do? There isn't any power going out of these jacks..
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Your Mac has a 3.5mm stereo headphone port and the pic you provided is of a headphone with a 3.5mm stereo plug.

Damage??? Well, if you don't use the headphone port on your Mac at all, it is less likely to get damaged than if you do use it as designed.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by mikaju View Post
    my question was merely about its possible potential to cause any sort of damage to the hardware but I worry needlessly
    Yeah...I guess it wasn't super clear what your concerns were when you posted above (safe for you or safe for the computer).

Since computer safety is generally not a concern (that's what the computers audio port is for...for plugging in audio devices)...human hearing safety seemed to be the more obvious concern.

- Nick
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
    damage??? Well, if you don't use the headphone port on your mac at all, it is less likely to get damaged than if you do use it as designed.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    +1
    yeah i know, though it takes a slight effort to insert connector into the port (needs some thrust), and the sound come off after 5 seconds of delay

Specs:
    27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 6S, iPod Nano 7th GeniPad 3
    The insertion effort is normal for all audio jacks since there's a switch type thing in there to detect when the headphones are plugged in and out...

As far as delay goes, there shouldn't be any perceptible one and definitely not up to 5 seconds..
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.

Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    The insertion effort is normal for all audio jacks since there's a switch type thing in there to detect when the headphones are plugged in and out...

As far as delay goes, there shouldn't be any perceptible one and definitely not up to 5 seconds..
    yeah i dont know why it last up to 5 seconds, thats beyond me

Thread Information