Specs:
    2010 MBP: 2.53GHz Intel Core 2, 4GB DDR3, OS 10.6.8
    High Contrast Display Problem
    Hey guys. I'm having an issue with screen contrast.

I work in finance, about 70 hours/week, and about 68.379 of those hours are spent staring at Access and Excel. I need a high contrast screen, and the only option I know of for Mac is pretty inefficient. Control+Option+Command+8 basically just inverts black and white, and ruins all images.

I know that In Windows there is a high contrast option that retains the display of application icons, menu buttons and pictures. Does Macintosh not have this ability? If not, does anyone know of any good third-party software??

Thanks guys, cheers.

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by y0itsj0hn View Post
    I work in finance, about 70 hours/week, and about 68.379 of those hours are spent staring at Access and Excel.
    I don't have a solution for you...but it figures that a "Finance Person" would know that they use Access & Excel 68.379 hours/week!

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Yes, your Mac has an adjustment for contrast. Which version of OS X are you using? In Mountain Lion, System Preferences, Accessibility, there is a slider to increase Contrast from "Normal" to "Maximum".

Specs:
    2010 MBP: 2.53GHz Intel Core 2, 4GB DDR3, OS 10.6.8
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    I don't have a solution for you...but it figures that a "Finance Person" would know that they use Access & Excel 68.379 hours/week!

- Nick
    Haha, well that was a bit of a facetious estimate, but honestly I do spend easily over 60 hrs/wk staring at spreadsheet cells and lines of code... the strain on my eyes is to that of average eyes as a taxi cab is to an average car.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Yes, your Mac has an adjustment for contrast. Which version of OS X are you using? In Mountain Lion, System Preferences, Accessibility, there is a slider to increase Contrast from "Normal" to "Maximum".

There is - I'm assuming - the same slider in 10.6 at System Preferences>Universal Access, but this makes little difference and definitely does not do what I was looking for.

I want black screens, yellow (or white) text, and visible images and icons. You can do this in Windows (and certain Linux distros) but I can't figure out if Mac can do it or not. The "White on Black" option in Universal Access just simply inverts colors, making all images nearly impossible to interpret.

Edit: System Preferences>Universal Access>Display is the same as the Control+Option+Command+8 key combo I mentioned in the OP

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by y0itsj0hn View Post
    Haha, well that was a bit of a facetious estimate...
    I figured that! Anyone that actually knows (to the 3rd decimal place) how much time they spend doing a specific activity each week...has MUCH bigger issues!!!

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thread Information