New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

I Need Advice on Laptops (Air vs Pro)!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Alex1497

Alex1497 is on a distinguished road

Hello, I am about to go into college next year to study medicine and I can see using my laptop for a lot of documents, presentations, movies and a whole lot of Netflix streaming. So this is my question; which will work best for me? I am about to either buy a MacBook Air or a MacBook Pro RETINA. From my future standpoint of busy work on Microsoft Word, Power Points, and an abnormal amount of video streaming, which one of these do you suggest will work best for me? HERE IS THE BIG QUESTION...

WHICH one of these would have a longer life span? This includes normal use of this computer. As in lifespan I also mean which will begin to slow down and become hesitant first?

These are my two options...

1. MacBook Pro RETINA 13-inch
2.5 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.1 GHz (Base Model)
8GB RAM
128GB Flash Storage (BASE MODEL)

OR

2. MacBook Air 13-inch
1.7 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.3 GHz
8 GB RAM
128GB Flash Storage (MOST UPDATED)

So essentially two questions.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Based on your usecase, the MBA is probably a better (and cheaper) fit since nothing you are doing is going to require a ton of CPU power..

Additionally with the longer battery life of the MBA, you can go a full day at school without needing to charge..

You might want to look into a portable external storage to keep all of your documents though as opposed to filling up the onboard storage..

If you don't want to lug around an external HD, then you can use the SDXC slot and find the biggest SD card you afford and use that for storage..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I have to agree with chas. Nowadays, 128 GB is really not enough room for adequate usage. Of course that depends on your personal needs, but with only 128 GB the drive may begin to fill up to the point where it will slow down. Go for at least 256 GB or more if you have the $$$.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac as a blue tooth headset | Safari letters show boxes with "A's" in them »