New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Resetting mac mini 2007

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

benny57358

benny57358 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 2007, ipod 4g, iphone 4, ipad 2, windows vista, windows 7

I got a mac mini from a friend and want to reset the data but they don't have the reset data disk. Can I still format the hard drive data?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Assuming this is an INTEL Mac mini, you can order the Snow Leopard DVD from Apple for $20 and install from that.
QUOTE Thanks
benny57358

Is there any other way? I would rather not order a disk for 20$ plus tax and shipping.
QUOTE Thanks
benny57358

And yes it is a intel based 2007 Mac mini
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

And the $20 includes shipping and that is the only way unless you own a pirate ship. Avoid pirated software unless you want the Mini full of malware and other not so nice gremlins.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Just so I have this straight: someone gave you a Mac mini but you don't want to pay $20 to get it working properly?
QUOTE Thanks
benny57358

no no no. I will pay it I just wanted to know if there is some way to reset it without the money being spent. if there isn't I will buy the disk, I just don't want to pay $20 for nothing if there is another way.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Phone Apple Online and spend the money. When the disc arrives, pop it in, reboot and hold down 'C', format the drive and do a nice clean install and update to version OS X.6.8 using the Combo updater from the Apple web site.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
benny57358

thanks guys, your really helpful
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

And remember to hang on to the DVD after you've used it -- should you ever need to reinstall (a new hard drive for example), you'll save yourself a lot of grief having that DVD around.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Inventor Fusion wants to update after removal | iPhoto won't let me choose music when I create a slideshow »