New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Internet Sharing

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

elpot

elpot is on a distinguished road

Hello mates

I've been fighting with this for a couple days now, and I'm starting to get desperate.

So here is the deal: I'm trying to share my Internet from Ethernet to other computers using Wifi. In the past, I have not had any problems doing this, it's just about checking the right boxes right?

Well, now, I have this iMAC with Mac OS X 10.7.5, and the problem is that all the checkboxes in the Settings -> Sharing -> Internet Sharing screen are disabled. I cannot check any of the boxes listing the ports I want to use to share my Internet. Therefore, I cannot check the box for Wifi and I cannot start the sharing service.

Have any of you solved such a weird problem? I called the Apple service, and they were unable to provide a solution...

This is the printscreen of what I see: http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/9659/vqe5.jpg

Thank you guys
J
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Did you unlock the lock with your admin password?

QUOTE Thanks
elpot

Hi mate! Thanks, and yes I did; I have admin rights on this iMac. Im not a super user, but I have admin rights indeed. I have a local admin user, and a network admin user, and it-s the same for both... What do you think?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

And you're sure your computer is connected to the Internet by an Ethernet connection and not Wi-Fi?
QUOTE Thanks
elpot

Absolutely sure... iMac is connected to Ethernet, other devices would connect to Internet through the iMac via wifi. Weird isnt it??? And this sucks because I want to set up a proxy in the iMac, and if the sharing is not working, I'm hopeless!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

Have you run any maintenance lately? Might be time to do that. We recommend Onyx or its sibling Maintenance as good, free solutions there.

Have you tried creating another admin account (just for troubleshooting), logging into that and seeing if it works there?
QUOTE Thanks
elpot

Yep! Even tried with a the account of a colleague... and nada again...
QUOTE Thanks
elpot

I just activated the root account and tried... SAME PROBLEM!

But it seems there is an antivirus installed (Symantec); could this be messing things up??
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Personally I'd uninstall that. But at the very least temporarily disable it and try again

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
elpot

Thanks mrplow. Ill do that and post the results.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Here's another thought. Not sure if this is an issue but I think it's possible. Go into System Preferences and check the Network pane. Which interface is listed first Airport/Wireless or Ethernet? Make sure Ethernet is first.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Strukt

Strukt will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB

I would bet it is the symantec software. Get rid of it.

Considering you have done the stuff you say yo do..

My Blog: Apple Laptops
QUOTE Thanks
elpot

I uninstalled Symantec, repared the permissions with disk utilty, and nothing... this is frustrating... I even gave read and write permissions to everyone to the folder /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration, and the checkboxes are still locked... Im desperate...
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Can you post a screenshot of your network page from system prefs and from the sharing page as above?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
elpot

There is some progress.

I copied the file com.apple.nat.plist file to my SystemConfiguration folder from my Macbook pro, where I have the settings for InternetSharing and it works. Then, on the iMac, the computer with the problem, I executed the command sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.InternetSharing.plist on Terminal, and even though the checkboxes are still disabled, the Internet Sharing seems to be ON.

However, the sharing is not real because I see no new wifi network appearing, and the icon of the sharing (normally an up arrow) is not there (see the pictures)

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/541/0lhb.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/713/e38p.jpg/

F$%%&%^ THIS!!!! But thank you all... I will not rest until I fix this
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Time Machine Issue | dual monitor resolution settings »