New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Desktop Icon Labels Disappeared!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

apatri1

apatri1 is on a distinguished road

I may have accidentally deleted a script that controls the desktop icon LABELS. In viewer options, I have checked and unchecked "Show item info"...etc, resized, everything, but that is not the problem. It happened after I cleaned my computer. I can see a dark line where my text would be next to the icon/folders. When I open a folder, everything can be seen inside of it as normal with text labels.

This may be a hard one. I tried to put back everything I deleted during my cleanup and restarted several times, but no luck. I think I deleted a script that controls the desktop.
This is what my desktop looks like with full icons on max font size.

Someone help?
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen shot 2013-06-19 at 5.52.34 PM.png (973.9 KB, 27 views)
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

"It happened after I cleaned my computer"

Need more info on that, and in particular what software was used.

Did part of this "cleaning" involve removing "unused" fonts by any chance?

Oh, and just as an aside: keeping all your stuff on the desktop like that sucks up the computer's resources something fierce. After you solve the problem of the missing folder names, I'd strongly suggest you put that stuff away properly.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post

Oh, and just as an aside: keeping all your stuff on the desktop like that sucks up the computer's resources something fierce. After you solve the problem of the missing folder names, I'd strongly suggest you put that stuff away properly.
ditto

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by apatri1 View Post
I may have accidentally deleted a script that controls the desktop icon LABELS. In viewer options, ... It happened after I cleaned my computer.
Oops! Too bad there isn't a "Unclean" button.

It's not technically a "script" that controls that, I don't think.

Let your Mac maintain itself, you're too dangerous!
QUOTE Thanks
apatri1

Didn't Use software. Yeah, probably removed unused fonts??
I use every folder there DAILY and it's the easiest for ME!
QUOTE Thanks
apatri1

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
Oops! Too bad there isn't a "Unclean" button.

It's not technically a "script" that controls that, I don't think.

Let your Mac maintain itself, you're too dangerous!
So you don't Know! Ok thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Regardless of how the fonts were removed, the only way you're going to get them back is by reinstalling. Which version of OS X are you using?
QUOTE Thanks
apatri1

Yeah all my font book app, files and everything appears perfectly normal. I was trying to avoid reinstalling, but after days of researching, no one has a better option.

All I have is the original CD installation of a much older version from 4 years ago. Currently I am Os x 10.6.8.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

OK, that's good. Snow Leopard does an automatic archive and install and will not destroy your other data. Use your original Snow Leopard DVD to do the reinstall and you should be OK. Another option is to go to the Apple web site and download - install the 10.6.8 combined update. Probably better to use your disk though. Make a backup of everything before proceeding just in case. You can use Time Machine or a cloning program such as Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apatri1 View Post
Didn't Use software. Yeah, probably removed unused fonts??
I use every folder there DAILY and it's the easiest for ME!
Yeah, I suspected that might be caused by the accidental removal of fonts the system relies on. I once replaced the Times .dfont with a Times .ttf and boy did THAT cause a mess.

I know putting folder on the desktop is "easist," but there are a number of reasons beyond the one I mentioned for not doing so. Without going into a long talk on the subject, you can still have one-click access to every single one of those folders by consolidating them into another folder, putting that folder in your Home folder, and then dragging it to the Dock (which creates a shortcut). Then you'd have everything at your fingertips AND a computer with more processing power.

Alternatively, you could create aliases for those folders, put the real ones away somewhere, and litter your desktop with the aliases. Exact same layout and functionality as you have now, without taxing your computer's resources unnecessarily.
QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Location: Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
IWT is a jewel in the roughIWT is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Lion) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Mavericks)

Adding to chas_m's excellent advice:

For current projects or folders needing daily access, you could also drag them to the sidebar in Finder where an alias is created. Then it's just a question of opening Finder and a one-click on the folder and you're away.

You do seem to have a lot of them though and the sidebar could fill up; but with a little planning, I'm sure you could be selective about what you really need daily. Or merge them into one or more folders as chas_m suggested.

I'm merely offering the Finder sidebar as another option.

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
apatri1

Thank you for your advice!
QUOTE Thanks
apatri1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Yeah, I suspected that might be caused by the accidental removal of fonts the system relies on. I once replaced the Times .dfont with a Times .ttf and boy did THAT cause a mess.

I know putting folder on the desktop is "easist," but there are a number of reasons beyond the one I mentioned for not doing so. Without going into a long talk on the subject, you can still have one-click access to every single one of those folders by consolidating them into another folder, putting that folder in your Home folder, and then dragging it to the Dock (which creates a shortcut). Then you'd have everything at your fingertips AND a computer with more processing power.

Alternatively, you could create aliases for those folders, put the real ones away somewhere, and litter your desktop with the aliases. Exact same layout and functionality as you have now, without taxing your computer's resources unnecessarily.
I did not know that> Thank you, I will definitely do that! Hope you have a great day!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook sometimes crashes when using fullscreen video in Chrome | iMac as a blue tooth headset »