New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Disappearing Cursor Problem got worse

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Photographics

Photographics is on a distinguished road

The Disappearing Cursor problem just got worse.
For months I have had the problem of the cursor or brush or whatever I was using suddenly vanish (especially when I am working in Photoshop CS6 ) and I have to click back somewhere in the dock to get it to reappear, it was happening once of twice per hour today it started to occur every couple of minute,, it is very annoying and time-wasting... Anyone know how to fix it???
iMac OS 10.8.4
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Please post your Mac's specs: Model and year. Also, how much system memory do you have and how much hard drive space is remaining?
QUOTE Thanks
Photographics

iMac 27 inch Late 2009 OSX 10.8.4 2.8 GHz Intel CORE i7 Memory 32 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 Garphics ATI Radeon HD 4858 512 MB 371.85 GB space available (capacity 999.35 GB)
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Well, you certainly have enough memory and remaining hard drive space along with decent graphics on that machine; so we can probably eliminate any of those as a cause. Thanks for posting back your specs by the way.

Is the cursor only disappearing when you're using CS6 or does it also happen with other applications? I'm assuming you've tried another mouse or trackpad? I've seen the cursor disappear once in awhile with certain apps especially when I'm using a BT mouse. I've had it disappear on me in Word 2011 when I was typing fast in a document but it was only momentary.

Something you may want to try (if you haven't already) is to do a PRAM reset first. If that doesn't work, try a SMC reset. The SMC reset is real easy to do with an iMac. Just shut down, pull the plug from the AC socket and let it remain that way for about 10 minutes. Plug it back in and boot up.

Lastly, boot your iMac to the recovery partition (command + r). Once in recovery, select utilities and Disk Utility. Verify the hard drive, and also repair permissions. You need to do both from recovery. Let us know if any of the above helps.
QUOTE Thanks
Photographics

Thanks very much I will try those and report back. (btw it happens both with the mouse and Wacom Intuos 4 tablet, in Photoshop and Corel Painter and occasionally in Mail... I googled disappearing cursor and find dozens of people have problem this going back to 2010. I just started to get it about a year ago, but now its really impacting my work flow
Michael

mcampbell137@gmail.com
MICHAEL CAMPBELL PHOTOGRAPHIC SERVICES - Michael Campbell's Albums - Powered by Phanfare
QUOTE Thanks
Photographics

I did as you suggested but it has made no difference..
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

I'm about out of suggestions on this one. I guess you can always try a reinstall of CS6 if you feel like going through all that work. I don't think this is a hardware problem but of course I could be wrong.
QUOTE Thanks
Photographics

From talking to others it is a Mac Mountain Lion OS problem.I need a MAC nerd..... Since I seems to have misplaced my CS6 Dvd I can't reinstall... Oh well thanks anyway.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is there any software I can run to speed up my MBP? | How can I add 127.0.0.1 localhost to my etc/hosts file/ »