New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Is there any software I can run to speed up my MBP?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

oxband

oxband is on a distinguished road

My Macbook Pro is runnign real slow these days. At first I noticed i had only 15 GB free on a 500 GB hard drive. Well, I deleted a lot and now have 70 GB free. But it still is running slow.

Any other thoughts? Any software I can run that might help? Similarly, how can I diagnose if some of the hardware is beginning to crap out? I bought this in 2009 so it's definitely possible. I'm running 10.7.5
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

To reach the minimum free space I'd ever run on OS X (15%), you'd need to hit 75GB free. I'd start by freeing up more drive space.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Download ONYX and run some of its maintenance tasks, like clearing the caches and running a permissions repair

Titanium's Software • Index page

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

After running Onyx - making sure your Trash is empty - deleting everything you have in the Downloads folder that is no longer required:

Just freeing up space at this point probably is not going to help just a whole lot as the free space is going to be fragmented along with your data being spread from one end of the drive to the other.

Options to defrag the drive
back up with Time Machine, then erase and reinstall OS X and restore from the TM backup when it asks during the reinstall
clone the drive with SuperDuper! and then clone it back
Buy iDefrag and defrag the drive.

In my testing, iDefrag provided a better increase in speed than the other 2 options - both in boot times and application launch times.

imho, and I readily admit, I am on the extreme edge regarding free space optimization, 15% only gives you enough room to run OS X - it is not going to keep OS X running "optimally".
I notice the OS begin slowing down at around 35% free space and no longer allow my system partition below 40% free space. If you've not really noticed yours slow down until it got this low, then 15-20% may be alright for you.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

Another idea that may be contributing to this: how much stuff do you keep on the desktop?

(hint: correct answer is "nothing but the drive icon")
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

^^^^ true that

extremely bad habit

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Tarek

Tarek has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5

+1 Onyx. I used it yesterday and I have noticed a great improvement ever since. Just run the automation task on it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hard Drive almost full, so is Time Capsule | Disappearing Cursor Problem got worse »