New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Deleting a User Account

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

Boy it takes forever!

As I type this, I'm looking at the User Accounts pane in Settings (OS X Lion) and I've been sitting here watching Netflix while the computer has taken nearly four hours to delete a user account. It's still deleting it.

On a side note; this is a fresh re-installation of OS X Lion. I created a new account from the installation setup - the second account was created from Windows-to-Mac Migration Assistant, which is why it's being deleted.

So, the assumption is that it takes quite a while to delete user data and documents (I had to manually transfer my iTunes, photos, and all of my documents through a hard drive, and then re-transfer the stuff on the drive back into the original account.) but I'm curious to know if it should take on four hours or more?

 MB White Uni l'09 - OS X 10.9
 iPad mini - iOS 7.1
 5th gen iPod touch - iOS 7.1
 Mm e'09 - OS X 10.9
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Both on 10.9.2 ~ iPhone5 iOS 7.1 ~ iPad Mini 7.1 ~ ATV2 6.0.1

NO

I did a clean reinstall couple of weeks ago because of Server troubles, booted into the Recovery Partition, opened Disk Utility, Erased Macintosh HD and that finished in a couple of minutes.
Are you sure you didn't press a 1/3/7 Pass Zero ??
When i was done, i Booted into my Bootable SuperDuper BackUp, inserted the Thumb Drive with 10.8 on it, and proceeded to install Mountain Lion on my Mac.
All up with a complete erase of the HD and Re-Install of the OS 1 Hr

Something is a miss Hmmmm

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
"Can't innovate any more, my ***" Phil Schiller
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Me thinks TM was a little quick to the draw. I've done it too...

Don't believe I've ever deleted a user account, but don't see how it could take hours...

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Both on 10.9.2 ~ iPhone5 iOS 7.1 ~ iPad Mini 7.1 ~ ATV2 6.0.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Me thinks TM was a little quick to the draw. I've done it too...

Don't believe I've ever deleted a user account, but don't see how it could take hours...
Ahh now re reading it, do you mean by just selecting the Account and hitting the - Button ?? Either way, it shouldn't take 4 hrs.
I did delete a .sparse-bundle that took a little while, but that was 500Gb worth.

Something is still amiss.

I would force Shut down Restart, Repair Permissions, and if its still showing as a Account, log out then in again, after the Repair and try again.

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Well, sometime over the early morning hours it finally deleted it (I did tell it to Securely Erase the account). Nothing seems to be amiss right now but I suppose running some Disk Utility clean up wouldn't hurt.

-------------------------

When I did a fresh reinstallation of Lion, I erased Macintosh HD completely - basically to the point like it was a new Mac out of the box - and it was at that point that the first account was created.

I did not know that the PC-to-Mac Migration Assistant would create a new (second) account - and after discovering it did, I hooked up an external and manually pulled all the transferred content off the second account, which then led to the deletion of it - taking nearly six hours I believe. D:

It doesn't show the account in the User Accounts pane anymore, but here goes the reboot.

Second account didn't appear in the login window, so it's gone completely.

 iPad mini - iOS 7.1
 Mm e'09 - OS X 10.9
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I think it is the securely delete option that was taking so long. I've deleted user accounts and only had it take a few minutes.

Also do you store data in folders inside your user account?That can significantly increase the size of the user folder and thus increase the time needed for a secure delete.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

Don't blame me if following this advice causes loss of data, a rip in space time allowing dinosaurs to roam free, or your significant other to leave.
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
I think it id the securely delete option that was taking so long. I've deleted user accounts and only had it take a few minutes.

Also do you store data in folders inside your user account. That can significantly increase the size of the user folder and thus increase the time needed for a secure delete.
This is on a MacBook, putting data on another hard drive isn't feasible. Wish I had Thunderbolt.

 iPad mini - iOS 7.1
 Mm e'09 - OS X 10.9
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I don't necessarily mean on another hard drive. My data folder is on the same drive. It is just not inside my user account. If I go to delete the account there isn't much there other than the library folder. (i keep media on a network drive). I started doing that a while ago to cut down on the amount of data that needed to be cloned.

Now that there is Time machine and software that supports incremental updates to clones I might move some of that data back into the user account. At least for the things that I am the only one accessing.

Don't blame me if following this advice causes loss of data, a rip in space time allowing dinosaurs to roam free, or your significant other to leave.
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Quote:
I don't necessarily mean on another hard drive. My data folder is on the same drive. It is just not inside my user account. If I go to delete the account there isn't much there other than the library folder. (i keep media on a network drive). I started doing that a while ago to cut down on the amount of data that needed to be cloned.

Now that there is Time machine and software that supports incremental updates to clones I might move some of that data back into the user account. At least for the things that I am the only one accessing.
Ah I see. Well, if I had the knowhow to deal with home networking, I'd probably do the network drive stuff for media - but I'd probably keep it within the confines of Apple hardware (i.e the Airport Extreme) because last time I tried using a network drive (back when my Dad had this all set up) I always had problems with connectivity.

I still like the idea of hooking up a hard drive rack through Thunderbolt though, or at the very least USB 3.0.

 iPad mini - iOS 7.1
 Mm e'09 - OS X 10.9
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

I started with an Apple Time Capsule and put my media there primarily for convenience. I recently added an Iomega backup drive though I am not pleased with it and others in the forum probably have better solutions. Apple announced some new Airport devices at the recent keynote though I have not checked to see what type of connections it supports or suggested pricing.

My current Time Capsule does USB 2 to and I have a couple of drives attached that way. That is not much of an issue at this point because those drives are used for backup so it does not bother me too much if things are a bit slow. You're right though the extra speed would be nice.

QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Quote:
I think it is the securely delete option that was taking so long. I've deleted user accounts and only had it take a few minutes.
This is exactly why. I have securely emptied trash with a couple of GB and it takes considerably longer than just Empty Trash

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Upgrading from OSX 10.5.8 | How do I scan a document to attach to an e-mail using OS x »