New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Disk Utility formats questions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Brooklynguy

Location: Born in Brooklyn, bred in Manhattan, living in Vermont
Brooklynguy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac, 27, Mid 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Core i5, 4GB 1333MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512MB, OS X 10.10

I have some personal dvd's that i saved off onto our iMac using the DVD/CD Master (.cdr) format for each disk.
Now I want to put all the .cdr's into a compressed disk on the iMac HD. This will have other .cdr's added to it time to time, so it must be expandable.
Which might be the best format to use? I was considering the Sparse Bundle Disk Image but not sure if this actually compresses and expands or decreases in size depending on content. What about .dmg or .zip? All ideas would be appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Your disk images aren't going to compress much more than they are already, so I doubt there's much mileage in compressing them further. You can test this by zipping a cdr and comparing the cdr file size with the zip.

Is there any particular reason you want to put them in another container?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Compressing a compressed file usually results in a larger file than the source. You can indeed use something like a ZIP to just keep all of your CDR together, but expect that ZIP file to take up more room. You're better of keeping a folder structure that you can use to organize your CDRs..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
Brooklynguy

Mac Specs: iMac, 27, Mid 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Core i5, 4GB 1333MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512MB, OS X 10.10

Thank you both for your advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
Your disk images aren't going to compress much more than they are already, so I doubt there's much mileage in compressing them further. You can test this by zipping a cdr and comparing the cdr file size with the zip.

Is there any particular reason you want to put them in another container?
First I was considering using the Time Machine to backup the CDRs onto my external disk drive. But that means I'd have to reconfigure the "Exceptions" each time I wanted to run one disk or the other. (Time Machine does its backups onto my Time Capsule disk. The CDRs will be on an external LaCie disk drive I have.

The reason for thinking of a compressed container for the CDRs was to save further disk space as the CDRs can be quite large in byte size. But, since it will not be to any advantage, I will just use a folder structure, possibly by author_name/audiobook_name. Thanks again for getting back to me on this.

iMac, 27-inch, Mid 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Core i5, 4GB 1333MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512MB, OS X 10.10 (14A389)
2007 Mustang GT/CS, black, 5-on-the-floor, ragtop
QUOTE Thanks
Brooklynguy

I hereby state that this thread should be closed.

BG

iMac, 27-inch, Mid 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Core i5, 4GB 1333MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512MB, OS X 10.10 (14A389)
2007 Mustang GT/CS, black, 5-on-the-floor, ragtop
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Address book | Re-Apply Lion (10.7) after hard drive replacement »