New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Dial up BLUES

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lyndonk

lyndonk is on a distinguished road

Like my 33 year old son told me, "I didn't know they even still made those things."

I live in an RV in a mountainous area, there is no broadband available (except expensive and not so good quality satellite).

After upgrade to Lion, my old reliable 32bit apple modem would no longer work. I purchase a Zoom external USB modem and was able to get it working.

I upgraded my old 21" iMac to a new 27" iMac just before Mountain Lion was available.

This presents me with some "problems":

1. Software update, once it scans and presents me with updates available, I don't have seven days available. So any app updates not available from a vendor for remote download cannot be updated. Ever notice AppStore downloads don't work so well with dialup?

2. System update from Lion to Mountain Update is Wayyyy Out of the question.

3. I have an old PowerBook G4, that I can use remotely to get good broadband but am not able to download anything from the AppStore due to the G4 won't pass muster for system requirements to download anything.

4. I have no neighbors/friends within 15 miles or so that would have broadband available.

Other than dragging my 27" desktop 45 miles to an Apple Store (questionable whether they would even allow this at the store LOL) any helpful suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
Other than dragging my 27" desktop 45 miles to an Apple Store (questionable whether they would even allow this at the store LOL) any helpful suggestions?
I'm afraid that's going to be your only option at this point in time until you and the RV are somewhere that provides decent WiFi. Either that, or buy a MacBook Air. Lots easier to drag to the Apple Store or a nearby Starbucks.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

It''s Powerbook itself that is the issue, it's the version of OSX but unfortunately you are stuck with 10.5.8 at best which I am sure does not do the App store. Do do feel your pain.

Do you have any friends with a Mac that you can say take a USB stick or external hard drive and get the updates and bring them home?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Its also worth noting that many of the updates are available for direct download for your PowerBook, eg a major os update can be downloaded from the web

And it is worth noting which of the updates you need are available on Apple's site as a standalone download, example:

OS X Mountain Lion Update v10.8.3 (Combo)

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Indeed louishen, but at just on 800MB too much of a load for poor old dial-ups. Do you know anyone with ADSL who can download and burn to a DVD for you, such as your son?

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
lyndonk

Thanks for all the quick responses.

looks like i'm going to be stuck until I relocate this winter "drag and drop" is not an option LOL.

Wish I could just buy the apps from my local Apple "brick and mortar. What a bunch of @#**.

Oh wells.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

They may not be such a bunch. Have you asked them to download and burn to a DVD OS X.8.3 Combo updater for you?

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
lyndonk

According to Apple, Mt Lion can't be purchased other than through the app store. Once I have Mt Lion installed, updates can be down loaded anywhere by my G4 and copied to the iMac.

That was the path I had to take to update my Lion on the iMac.

Can't seem to do iTunes that way though.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
Once I have Mt Lion installed, updates can be down loaded anywhere by my G4 and copied to the iMac.
How are you going to download updates on your G4? The maximum version of OS X that can be installed on a G4 is Leopard (if you have enough speed and memory). You can not access the Mac App store with Leopard. You need at least Snow Leopard 10.6.6 which will not install on the G4.

You can of course access the Mac App store with your iMac.
QUOTE Thanks
lyndonk

While I can't download anything from the AppStore with my G4, I was able to go to the Support Download Site and download several incremental upgrades to Lion as well as update my iWork app. (all while at a remote iNet Cafe with free WiFi)

At one time Apple Store would sell OS X. But they have announced they would not be doing with Mountain Lion. (only available from the AppStore)

I think the AppStore is a genius idea. Inventory, OS compatibility, tech support, etc. But, if you are stuck in the Digital Divide, the AppStore is a NO GO.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MAC OS Full Screen Mode just exits itself | Time Capsule help »