Two partitioned drive questions: can i mount both at once AND do i need extra space?
    So, I have a 6tb drive I got for film editing. I have two questions before I partition and fill it up:

1 - I am using the drive for a film project I already started with two other drives. What I want to do is partition the new drive into 3, using two of the partitions to duplicate the drives I already have. This makes sense if I can mount multiple partitions at the same time from the same drive? Can I do that? I assume so. But reading online i haven't found conformation.

2 - I know the rule of thumb is to keep 10% of a hard drive free. If I partition the drive, do I need to keep 10% of each partition free or is 10% overall OK?

Warrington, UK
    PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.10.5. iPhone 3GS.
    1. Each partition will mount and show separately on your Desktop.

2. The 10% rule only(AFAIK) applies to your boot drive, as the OS uses this for temporary storage.

Really?! I thought it applied to external drives too. That's not the case?

Waiting for a mate . . .
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM & 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 8GB RAM 10.10.3, iPhone5 & iPad Air 2 iOS 8.3, ATV3
    Quote Originally Posted by oxband View Post
    Really?! I thought it applied to external drives too. That's not the case?
    Not unless you have them as a Bootable Drive. If you want to Boot from them, then yes 10% around here people will say 20%Minimum (but thats another story) as they are in essence your Mac OS you are working on, so you are going to need that space for Swap Files, and to let the OS do what it needs to do to run efficiently
    If they are just for storage, fill it up until you have 1 MB left and you will be OK.
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

North Louisiana, USA
    2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone 6+
    The other situation where blank space might be beneficial is with programs that let you control where they store the "scratch disk". This space for temporary files is different from that used by the OS.

I am thinking that I had this problem with some versions of Photoshop. Not sure if it is still an issue since I am using an older version. Things seemed to slow down when the scratch disk got too full. Bet there are other programs out there with similar setups.
    Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling

This blows my mind. I had no idea i didnt need to leave free space. Thanks for the heads up!

Texas, where else?
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    I'm am one of those that keep their HD boot drives at 35-40% free space minimum.
    External "storage only" drives I keep at 1% or 1 GB minimum whichever is larger.
    I've never allowed a drive under 1GB free space since the advent of 30GB+ drive sizes.
    (Just my own personal rule of thumb because I'd just as soon not find out what happens to a full drive.)
    Never used a scratch disk, but would guess best scenario would be to maintain ample free "contiguous" space for your projects.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Thread Information