New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Finder

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wvtrammell

wvtrammell is on a distinguished road

There is a folder /users/home/library/developer/DerivedData according to a request I typed in Terminal.
It does not show up in the find command in Finder?
How can I restore it from the time capsule or does it not get backed up?
Thanks
Warren
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvtrammell View Post
There is a folder /users/home/library/developer/DerivedData according to a request I typed in Terminal.
It does not show up in the find command in Finder?
How can I restore it from the time capsule or does it not get backed up?
Thanks
Warren
Let's backtrack a second here. What do you mean "according to a request"? Did you create that directory? Second, that's an odd path for a folder unless your username is "home." Are you sure that's it? Third, how are you searching for it?

Finally, I'm a little confused. Does it not exist (hence why you want to recover it)?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
wvtrammell

Yes home is my user name.
No I did not create it.
I search for it using Find in Finder, it is not listed.
In terminal I can go to it using cd /users/warren/library/developer
and then ls -l
I do not know if it exists on the time capsule.
If it does I wish to recover the data in the folder.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

That folder isn't excluded from a Time Machine backup so assuming you backed up at least once, it should be there. Open up Time Machine and take a look in that folder.

If you haven't already unhidden your Library folder (you'll likely need to do this to see it), execute the following command:
Code:
chflags nohidden ~/Library

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
wvtrammell

Let me generalize.
There are files and folders on my hard drive that I may access using the terminal app that do not appear when busing Find in the Finder app.
Since the only away I know to restore files/folders is by using the Finder app, those elusive files/folders (if backed up) are currently unavailable.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks
Warren
QUOTE Thanks
wvtrammell

Execute that command in which application?
Thanks
Warren
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

If you execute that in the Terminal, you'll be able to see your Library folder.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Threads merged - I merged your thread about Time Capsule in here since I think you meant to reply as opposed to start a new thread..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
wvtrammell

I can see it in terminal.
I can not see it in Finder
If i type that command in root folder I get an error message "no folder"
Lost in the wilderness.
Warren
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvtrammell View Post
If i type that command in root folder I get an error message "no folder"
It doesn't matter what folder you're in when you execute that command. However, it will matter if you're logged in as root. Is that what's happening here?

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

You need to type the command in "Terminal" which will change the system preferences and enable you to see the Library folder in "Finder".

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
wvtrammell

I am not logged in as root nor am I using sudo in the command.
If I type chflags nohidden /library It comes back no such directory
If I type chflags nohidden It comes back with options -fhv,-R, -H, -L, & -P
I am using OS X 10.8.3
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Look at post 4 again. Enter the command exactly as written. It must have the ~ in front. That is what directs it to the Library folder in your home folder.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
wvtrammell

Warrens-Mac-mini:~ warren$ chflags nohidden -/Library
chflags: -/Library: No such file or directory
Warrens-Mac-mini:~ warren$
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Try a copy and paste of the above instead of typing it in.

You are using a dash, as in -. (- - - - - - )
You need to be using the tilde, as in "~". (~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~)

The tilde, as shown in "~warren$" is a short cut for your home directory.
If you were to change that to a dash "-warren$", there is no such directory.

(For those not familiar with Terminal, and I count myself among those; I have found it is always best to copy and paste what has been provided from trusted sources rather than attempting to retype it and not get it right and possibly screw up your computer by doing so.)

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« OSX signed malware FYI | Program crashes after new graphics card »