Downloads Folder

Downloads Folder
    With my MPB (10.6.8) I put bank statements and so on into a password-protected Disk Image file but have recently noticed that some of these items remain visible in the Downloads Folder. Iíve since dragged them into the Disk Image or trashed them securely. I donít normally look into the Downloads Folder and have seen a lot of stuff that Iíd forgotten all about: DMG files for software updates and, surprisingly, some song sheets from Wikifonia that Iíd already saved in my music folders.

Can the DMG files be safely deleted?

Iíve now altered Safari Prefs so that downloads are automatically directed to the desktop. Comments regarding the Downloads Folder greatly appreciated.

M

Downloads Folder
    Specs:
    27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air 2, AppleTV2
    Downloading to the desktop, the downloads folder or a.n.other folder, the location doesn't matter.

As to whether you can delete things in the downloads folder, only you can answer that. If you have no further need for them, delete them. If there are any you're unsure of create a new folder called maybe "query deletions" set yourself a reminder to delete the folder in x number of days so that you will see if anything tries to use the files.

In general though a good workflow is to download a file use it for it's intended purpose then file it somewhere permanently or delete it.
    External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post

Downloads Folder

Thanks for the reply.

With regard to the .DMG files: they relate to applications which I've downloaded and have in use. They are in the Applications Folder. I am presuming that the .DMG files in Downloads have done their work and are now dispensable. Is that so?

M

Downloads Folder
    Specs:
    Yes, once installed to the applications folder you can delete the dmg
    External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post

Downloads Folder

OK, all understood. VMT for your help.
    M

Downloads Folder
    Specs:
    Mac Mini Core 2 Duo
    The only reason to keep them is to avoid having to download them again in the event that the app becomes corrupt, and presuming you haven't downloaded a newer version.

Downloads Folder

Hope this will be accepted on the Mac forum as it relates to downloads in general, but in this case with reference to Windows. I'm trying to help a Windows friend who doesn't know where her attachments are going. Is there an equivalent of our Downloads folder in Windows?
    Thanks in advance ...

M

Downloads Folder
    Specs:
    Yup, the downloads folder inside documents.

Which version of windows, which browser was used?

Downloads Folder

Downloads (further) ...
    She says that she's using Windows 8, and Google Chrome. The problem is (I think) that she can't find attachments.
    M

Downloads Folder
    Specs:
    she can search for them in Windows 8.

However, if she clicks the 3 bars (top right of the Chrome Window) and chooses Settings. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Advanced Settings.

Scroll down, look for the Downloads heading. Here you can see the location where all downloads default to. There's an option to change it and an option to prompt you for a location each time.

Once you've made any changes required just close the Settings tab.

Downloads Folder

That's very helpful ... thanks very much.
    M

Thread Information