New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Spaces 'snaps back'

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tomaustin44

tomaustin44 is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I've got a MacBook Pro (late 2011) running Mountain Lion (10.8.3).

I often have 3 spaces running together typically with a word document or browser window in each. I find sometimes that when I try to switch to a different space (either by keyboard, touch pad or using expose), OS X brings up the new space but then immediately 'snaps back' to the old one. The only way to stop this occurring seems to be to delete the space and set it up again which is frustrating.

Any help appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

I get that too. What do you mean by "delete the Space"?

It happens to me when I open a document. My Finder windows are in a different Space. If I'm recalling correctly, the document will appear briefly, then the Finder window will pop back up. Yeah, I know that I had just intentionally switched to that Space, but when I open a file, I want to see that file, not the folder it came from!

I've never tried to figure out how to stop this from happening. This is just an empathy post.
QUOTE Thanks
IronPhysco

IronPhysco is on a distinguished road

I've been having this problem as well on Lion; I usually have 4-5 spaces open at once, and until recently, they've been switching between one another and rearranging themselves wildly without my say-so.

For this problem (switching back to another space automatically, without user input), I found a resource on Stack Exchange that explains why this happens, and how to fix it.

Under Settings->Mission Control, there's an option that says "When switching to an application, switch to a space with open windows for the application"

To the best of my knowledge, the following details what action will switch to an application, with the option checked/unchecked.
  • Checked:
    • Alt-Tab
    • Click on Dock
    • Click in Launchpad
    • Switch to empty space (snaps to active Finder window, usually)
  • Unchecked
    • Click in Dock
    • Click in Launchpad
QUOTE Thanks
Brooklynguy

Location: Born in Brooklyn, bred in Manhattan, living in Vermont
Brooklynguy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac, 27, Mid 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Core i5, 4GB 1333MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512MB, OS X 10.9.2

Et Al: Make sure the following option is unchecked. If this is checked, then your open apps will dynamically change the spaces they are in, dependent on which you are using most often on that login-session. ...

System Preferences/Mission Control/Automatically rearrange spaces based on recent use

iMac, 27-inch, Mid 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Core i5, 4GB 1333MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512MB, OS X 10.9.2 (13C64)
2007 Mustang GT/CS, black, 5-on-the-floor, ragtop
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mountain Lion not keeping my documents sorted! | iPhoto »