New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Dropdown list

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

imfromwales

imfromwales is on a distinguished road

When i activate a dropdown list by clicking it, whenever I press a letter, T for example, it never goes to the first T in the list, it just stays on whatever the first is, usually 'Select'.

if i move manually to any item in the list, and then press T, it goes back to the default item in the list.

How can I use the keyboard letters to jump to the first item in the list?

Also, how can I use the tab button, when an item is highlited, to actually select that item. At the minute, I have to physically click the item to select the item, rather than a keyboard shortcut...
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Need to tell us what drop down list - all of them work as you are describing by default here.

Except, tab has never been used, on any OS that I'm aware of, to select an item. Tab is used to move between items (or fields). You would press Enter (return) to select the highlighted item.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
imfromwales

imfromwales is on a distinguished road

Sorry, I mean a dropdown list on the internet, specifically through Chrome.

going to your statement about tab never being used on any OS, i presume you mean OS X as in windows, pressing tab automatically selects the highlighted field in a dropdown list and then procedes to whatever field is next...
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Sorry, but I have never seen Windows "select" an item when using the tab button.

Don't use Chrome - use Safari and Firefox... Most often I run into the field to select a 'State' and pressing a T indeed moves to Tennessee in both those browsers where I then have to arrow down to Texas. Tab does not "select" Texas "and" move to the next field. Have to press "enter" to make the selection and then tab to the next field. That's the same method as I recall it (although, I am getting a little senile) on both my XP and Win7 machines.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« freezing & rebooting | Weird sound issue »